“Welcome back to Aerel Keck Live! Tonight, my guest is a genius of technological innovation and marketing,” the charismatic talk show host addressed his audience, “and one of the wealthiest men in the world.”

Bright studio lights shone down on him from thirty feet overhead. He basked in the familiar heat as he adjusted his tailored suit jacket and played at making tense faces to the audience.

“I may be underdressed for this. Anyway, if you ever use computers or especially one of these handy little Smarties--and who still doesn’t have one, right?”

“I’ve got mine,” a pudgy, odd-looking man laughed from the edge of the set, “though I’m not quite sure what to do with it yet.”

“So, Hedloe, the only thing separating you from an Etinen farmer is the suit,” Keck joked, smiling to the crowd’s laughter.

“That and I was able to get past security,” the self-effacing sidekick quipped.

“Well, our audience probably knows the name of tonight’s guest and that he’s responsible for not only confusing my poor co-host, but putting these clever little conveniences into all our hands. Let’s get him out here to tell us what we can expect in our future. Give a big welcome to Taril Bont!”

Thunderous applause filled Keck’s ears. He never tired of that. His show’s producers certainly scheduled guests to draw viewers, but Aerel Keck knew in his heart that people were watching the show for him. He was the host, after all, and the best entertainment on the screens late at night. It was his name on the show. He would be sure to remind them when contract renewal time came up next month.

The charismatic host smiled at his guest as he welcomed him and the two men dropped into plush chairs, angled so they could converse comfortably and offer the audience a sense of inclusion.

“So, Taril…may I call you ‘Taril’?”

“‘Master Bont’,” he laughed.

“A lot of people, I hear, are saying that you’re very close to becoming the world’s richest man. Any truth to those rumors or did you blow the fortune paying to have all these bodyguards here tonight?”

“There sure are a lot, aren’t there?” Bont replied. “I got a volume discount I couldn’t pass up. What I saved I used to pay for that rumor about my having money.”

“Oh, no,” Keck said over the audience’s laughter. “Hedloe, we’re going to need your collection bowl again.”

“Honestly, Aerel, my accountants keep track of the money,” he continued. “One of them did use the phrase ‘dragon horde’, though, if that’s any help.”

“Well, it sounds like Hedloe can keep his bowl,” Keck said. “Which is good because I think that’s about as much technology as he can handle.”

“Oh, that’s too bad,” Bont said. “We’ve got a lot of great things coming to the market this year.”

“Now, it seems that some people don’t like that,” Keck said. “Some of your detractors say you’re out to dominate commerce and control the flow of information.”

“Well, I do like selling things,” Bont replied with a chuckle, “but I’m just doing business. If people don’t think I’m offering helpful developments, all they have to do to let me know is stop giving me money.”

“Right,” Keck said. “It’s not like you’re in organized crime or something, leading people into the store at gunpoint.”

“Exactly,” Bont said, “and if anyone else has a better idea for doing what I do, all they have to do is release a better product.”