Chapter 25

Thanks, Ishita for the edit 🤩

Mishal

I was thinking about leaving when Wardah got hold of me. She had arranged a Mehfil of some classical songs with the help of Osman and was hell-bent on me not leaving before it finished.

I was going through so much heartache. Suleiman's disregard for my dignity and respect was eating me up. I just wanted to go someplace where I could be alone with my thoughts. With Wardah being persistent about me not leaving, I was not left with any choice but to stay.

They had arranged everything in the hall. The musicians were sitting around on the mattresses placed on a podium built along with one of the walls in a semicircle. Two seats in the middle were empty with mics in front of them. A Saaz and a Benidir were placed beside the mic. Wardah and Osman took the seats with the mic placed before them.

Wardah had changed into a white lehenga, with her raven-colored hair parted in the middle and let loose on her back. Her black eyes were adorned with Kohl and cherry-colored gloss on her lips. Wardah was wearing a pair of Chand Bali in her ears and a similar Chand Bina on her forehead and was looking angelic in the white attire. Too bad Osman regarded her as a sister, otherwise, we could have thought about a betrothal between them.

Osman was looking dapper in a white-colored Kurta and navy jeans in which he had changed from his dress shirt and trousers, especially for the Mehfil.

I took a seat near the podium and away from all the ladies of the family. I was not interested in sitting with them and answering their stupid questions about my married life and kids.

Wardah and Osman started with a few old classical songs, most of them duets. I never could have imagined Osman could be into classical music if I hadn't seen him singing with my own eyes today. He had a beautiful voice and so did Wardah. They both had garnered all the attention and had put the audience present under a spell. My mind started to relax by their soothing voices and the beautiful lyrics of the songs they chose.

An hour might have passed after the mehfil started when they began singing the song 'Tose Naina Lage ( My eyes are entangled with you)' from the movie Anwar. It was one of my favorite songs of all time and now in their beautiful voices, Osman and Wardah had created magic.

I sensed someone's burning haze on my face and looked up only for eyes to lock with a pair of gray orbs. Suleiman was standing in the gallery on the first floor, looking down in the hall.

Wardah started singing the following paragraph and I felt my lungs constrict.

Shama ko pighalne ka armaan kyun hai???

Why the candle wants to die/melt

Patange ko jalne ka armaan kyun hai???

Why the light insect wants to die by burning itself in light