Part Two: Quite the Shock

August 14th, 1950

6:55 AM

Nancy Elsner is always awake before 7 AM. She never wants to miss her favorite radio show. It's become a routine of hers. Something of a comfort. Something to stabilize her when she's unsure of things.

There's something else that fills that role though. Someone else. Henry was always there by her side. He would support her and talk to her. All of the wonderful things a friend and husband would do. She didn't believe she could live without him. It scared her quite a bit, actually. The thought of him gone. She couldn't bear it. She had to make sure he'd never leave. She asked him to promise at least twice a week that he wouldn't. Of course, he'd always say he would stay. Recently, though, that question was beginning to be met with a flinch.

The same flinch she saw every time the phone rang.

This morning, Henry had the day off, so he was sleeping in. Nancy liked her routine, though, and she woke up at the same time she always did. However, so did a certain someone.

Nancy had her whole sewing station set up. She was just about to turn on her sewing machine when she heard the phone ring. Henry was usually the one to answer it, but he was asleep this morning and Nancy felt that she could deal with the morning call today.

"Hello?" Nancy answered. "This is Nancy Elsner speaking."

This was met with a disgusted scoff.

To say that her mother in law was not fond of her was quite the understatement. The things she would say to Henry were bad, but Nancy wouldn't want him to hear the things she had to hear when she answered the phone.

She wanted to stand up to Frances. She wanted her to stop harassing Henry. She wanted to stop the insults and the downright threats. But she said nothing. She couldn't find the words. So she stood there and took it.

Nancy glanced over to the clock hanging on the wall.

6:58 AM

I'm going to miss the beginning, I suppose. She thought. Already feeling defeated. Today was not starting well.

7:14 AM

Frances liked to play into Nancy's insecurities. She would tell her that Henry would surely leave one day. That'd be the day when he realized how much his mother loved him, she'd insist. Nancy had nearly had it. She readied herself to finally argue back. And then Henry shuffled into the kitchen.

Frances could tell by the way Nancy faltered that Henry had entered the room and she demanded he take the phone.

It seemed today was not off to a great start for him either.

7:32 AM

When Frances had finally finished talking, the couple stared at each other. They were both left shaken up from the call.

Nancy fidgeted with her necklace. "Henry, you..." She trailed off.

Henry knew where this was going. "D-do you really not trust me?" He asked. "Do you really believe the things she says? Honestly, Nancy. I-I could never leave you behind." He took a deep breath. "Y-y-ou... you need to stop... this... Nancy. It's killing me. I tell you this so often. You don't... believe me."

"No! Henry, that's not what's... I... it's not that I don't trust you it's just-"

Nancy was cut off by a rumbling in the ground. A few seconds after it stopped, the two of them felt a pulsing wave throughout the room, unable to see and paralyzed, feeling as if they were being electrocuted.

This went on for about thirty seconds. When it finally stopped, the Elsners collapsed. Motionless for minutes, they didn't even notice the brightly-dressed, strawberry-blonde high schooler absolutely panicking outside, just a few feet from their house.