Blazing Soul

Art hadn't told Caiden about me, which meant I'd managed to make a fool of myself all on my own.

I'd dropped a bomb on him without warning and without leaving him a chance to say something. It made sense he was angry.

The only type of engagement we'd had since then was hello and goodbye: no conversation and no awkward eye exchange like before. Our relationship had become strictly professional.

It still hurt to think of him, but it gave me the strength and meaning to throw myself into training without guilt. I'd spent all of my spare time in Art's studio, but Art hadn't seemed to mind. Raymond's comments about my inability to teleport must've hit Art harder than he cared to admit.

Art had pushed me harder than ever before. I still couldn't sing, but Art had ordered that we skip enhancing my sound abilities and solely focus on teleporting. I'd expected teleporting to be challenging to master, but I'd hardly scratched the surface.

Two weeks had passed already, and I'd still only managed to phase shift a few inches or two. I'd felt my body split apart, but it was hard to control everything at once. Besides, if I wasn't careful, I could end up leaving my heart outside my body or exchanging my arm for a leg.

I'd gone to my room so exhausted every day that I'd forgotten about this fateful day until I opened my eyes this morning, and my entire body was humming with dread.

"Mrs. Evelyn wishes to see you in the other dining hall for breakfast this morning," Faye said as she drew the white curtains to allow direct access for the pinkish smear of the sun's hues to enter the room. "The guests won't arrive until late afternoon, but she would like to test the arrangements regardless."

I didn't move. Instead, I stared into the white and empty ceiling, thinking of excuses that might get me out of this troubling event.

"Do you think I could make an excuse about feeling sick today? To avoid the dinner."

I sighed before she answered, knowing perfectly well how ridiculous that idea was.

"Unfortunately, not," she said, chuckling lightly. "Mrs. Evelyn would probably send you to the healers who would either heal you instantly or know that you're lying."

I hummed, displeased.

"Why does it sound like you don't want to go tonight?" she asked, sitting down by the foot of my bed. "I mean, I know you don't particularly enjoy these formal dinners, but I've never heard to ask for an excuse to avoid one."

I sighed deeply as I sat up to face her. "Remember when I told you how the king found out that I wasn't a First-Blood?"

She didn't look particularly overwhelmed by the memory, so I tried again. "About the son of my employer that almost burned my mother?"

Her eyes widened, and I knew she understood what I was trying to say. "You don't mean—"

I nodded reluctantly and buried my face in my palms.

"How am I going to get through this without shattering at the sight of him, Faye?" I sobbed. Pools of salty water filled the cavities of my palms until my tears soaked the sheets beneath me.

"Hey," Faye said and climbed onto the bed to wrap her arms around me. She buried her nose in my messy hair and squeezed me tightly. "I'm not even sure what to say. Isn't Prince Atlas or King Pavo aware of this? Weren't they there when that guy tried to burn your mother?"

I nodded and fought the urge to push her away in frustration. Her embrace was warming, but it felt like I was about to explode.

"I'm done with Caiden," I said, sniffling, "and I'm not even sure if the king remembers what really happened that day."