The Final Trial

The Crown Show today was unlike any show we'd been part of before.

The room was silent. We couldn't hear Arawn speaking, nor could we see the audience, but they could see us. We stood like an exhibit for the public to observe, yet we hadn't even left the castle.

This evening was the official publication of the last trial, but we couldn't know any of the details regarding the race that Arawn would disclose to the viewers watching the program tonight.

Cameras were the only thing we were allowed to see apart from each other, and there were many of them in this room.

To the audience, we appeared like holograms floating in a rotating circle behind Arawn. A green light would turn on when we had to act, but I could only imagine what Arawn said while we were in the spotlight. At least I didn't have to hear it.

It felt strange, and I wasn't sure why they hadn't just decided to use the existing images of us, but then again, I would rather be here than listen to Evie sob all evening because tomorrow would eliminate most of us from the competition.

The only thing bothering me was the damned suit that Adriel and Faye had forced me into.

It wasn't my usual warrior uniform and nearly suffocated me whenever it wasn't cutting into my jaw. If I didn't know any better, I'd have assumed that the suits had been designed to be a pain on purpose in order to test our willpower and discipline.

I no longer had drapes covering me. Instead, everything was skin-tight, with only a vest to protect my vulnerable torso like every other suitor in this room. My weapons were securely fastened to my back and sides, allowing me easy access if needed.

Tomorrow wasn't just going to be a race; otherwise, we wouldn't be dressed like this.

Evie hadn't revealed much about the tracks except that each would be unique and designed to challenge our abilities. Of course, I couldn't be certain whether my assumptions about the race were accurate, but I wasn't going to leave anything to chance.

There would be only four golden lotuses - one at the end of each track. So the four people left standing with a lotus in their hands would be the four people continuing in this competition; the rest would be sent home.

A shudder surged through my body as if a chilly wind had found its way through the cracks in the walls.

I had to be one of the four people left; otherwise, Alia's plan wouldn't work. If I didn't win, Alia would have to fight for Piper alone. Besides, I wanted to make Art proud. I wanted him to witness how far I'd come before I went home.

We'd spent the past days training in Art's studio as always. I could teleport twice now without fainting from exhaustion. I hadn't dared to test it a third time, fearing it might take me out for days, which I couldn't afford with the new trial.

I detected movement to my right. My eyes shifted discreetly, and I saw Arisu step forward with her rings secured in her hands before she lit them on fire. She looked like a warrior, and I gulped, thinking about how Alia counted on winning against her while also having to worry about Nova.

Arisu stood like that for a few minutes until the green light in front of her went out. She stepped back, and I knew I was next.

I truly hated this part.

My heart was racing with a million beats per second. We'd been taught how to present ourselves today, but I could easily end up losing my staff when the time came for me to step forward.

Then my light turned green, and I took a deep breath, knowing that the majority of Heliac was watching only me.

I firmly secured the staff in the palm of my hand before pulling it out of its holster. I whirled it in front of myself as I stepped forward and slammed the end against the floor once I reached the white spot in front of me.