Chapter Four

I could hardly believe my ears. “You don’t know who Poppy is?”

“Well,” said Callum, “I recognised the rest of the names but that particular one doesn’t ring a bell. Who is she?”

Something short of a squawk escaped my lips as I struggled to contain my happiness.

Calm down, Rosie-birdie.

I had to make sure first. I couldn’t count my chicks before they hatched.

“Okay, uh, she’s this girl – seventeen years old. Really pretty,” I started my description as he nodded along. “Slender, green eyes and long brown hair.” I made a flowing gesture down my head with my fingers.

Callum looked like it hurt his head just trying to picture the description.

“Oh.” I snapped my fingers. “She always wins Richard Town’s beauty pageant.”

“Ah!” Callum remarked as if his memory was jogged, and my heart sank subsequently.

With a shake of his head, he added, “I don’t pay attention to those competitions.”

My heart started to rise again. “Really?” I asked too eagerly.

“I’m not interested,” he expressed. “I never know who participates or who wins, so maybe that’s why I don’t know her.” He shrugged with an apologetic face. “Sorry.”

Ironic how he was apologising yet he had just given me the best news in two days!

I leaned back in my seat with a sigh of relief. “Oh, thank God.”

“Pardon?”

“That Ed is finally here!” I saved with a grin, having caught my dear friend’s appearance out of the corner of my eye. Wouldn’t want him catching on to what I had planned now, would I? This was supposed to be a natural conversation with no hidden agenda.

“Oh.” Callum’s facial features relaxed from confusion as Ed sat down with us.

“The samosas will be here in ten,” she announced. “So what have you two been talking about?”

“Isn’t it such a wonderful day, Ed?” I cooed, the warmth of utter bliss causing me to float and mellow. “The sun is shining and the birds are singing a happy sunny song...”

Ed grimaced at me. “The stars are coming up,” she deadpanned.

My grin stretched till it hurt a bit. “And they are reflected in your beautiful grey eyes. You are wonderful too, Eddie. Everything is simply wonderful.” I reached over and ruffled her blonde hair.

Ed slapped my hand away and whistled. “I always thought it was impossible for you to suffer heatstroke, Nkwanzi, but I suppose I was mistaken.”

I giggled. “What heat? It’s almost seven.”

“Delayed effect,” Ed countered, brushing me off.

*****

I couldn’t wait to tell Ed the good news. But as soon as we exited Mrs. Lawrence’s and waved goodbye to Callum, her mouth ran faster than mine.

“He is so cute!” she exclaimed to me, her eyes wide and sparkly. “Not only is he a prospective date but he’s tall and handsome just like you wanted!”

“That’s not all!” I squeaked, practically dancing on my toes.

“I know; he’s nice as well!” Ed stated. “A little awkward, but sincere. You better take that one to Establishment Day.”