Chapter Six

It was Saturday already, and I was restless the moment I woke up.

It was the day Callum would come to my home, and into my bedroom. Something about it turned me into a bundle of nerves, and I made sure to clean up and organise my things so he wouldn’t have a bad first impression. Not that I was always messy – just that it was an easier lifestyle, not having to keep things in order every single day.

I had decided to wear a sleeveless v-neck navy blue dress with patterns of pink peonies at the hem. it was fitting in the bodice but fluttered in waves from my waist down to my ankles. I held my braids in a half-ponytail with the rest falling down my shoulders.

At 9:45 am, Ed strolled into my bedroom.

“Is he here yet?” she twittered, her face bright with expectancy.

“Good morning to you too and no, he isn’t,” I answered and closed the novel I had been reading, placing it beside me on the bed.

Ed looked around in confusion. “Something feels different. Did you swap bedrooms with your mother?”

I rolled my eyes. “I cleaned up.”

“Ah!” Ed snapped her fingers. “Makes sense now.”

I noticed she was dressed in navy blue as well – both her trousers and tucked in button up shirt. One hand was in the pocket of her trousers, but the wristwatch with brown leather straps still peeked.

“Hey, we’re matching,” I pointed out, gesturing between us.

Ed crossed her arms in the shape of an X. “My sister, it’s not matching unless it tricks someone into believing you’re me, so that you can go to prison in my stead.”

“How did prison even come up?” I laughed.

“Speaking of which, Inspector Raphael’s finally letting me work a case with him,” Ed declared with pride, disregarding my statement.

She walked forward and sat down next to me, after which she proceeded to tell me about a certain investigation into a drug smuggling and illegal drug sale operation.

While we were still talking, Jerry burst into my bedroom.

“Won’t you knock!” I snapped instantly. “I’ve told you this many times before. It’s rude to just walk into someone else’s bedroom!”

Jerry shrugged in nonchalance like the little brat he was and nodded towards Ed. “She does it.”

“I’m a special case, kiddo,” Ed informed.

“What do you want?” I glared at my brother.

“Carpenter’s here.”

Da-dum, went my seemingly frail heart and up went my body like a meerkat on alert.

“Says he wants to fix your bolt,” Jerry added, then folded his arms and gave me a suspicious, somewhat accusatory look. “Which is strange because your bolt was working just fine yesterday morning.”

“Oh shut it,” I hissed. “Where’s the carpenter?”

Jerry smirked, pure evil glinting in his caramel eyes. “Right behind me. He thinks it’s strange too.”

Crap.

Ed stood up as well and we exchanged panicked glances just as my heart started to race.

If that little turd said anything to Callum-

“I told him there’s some shenanigans going on here,” Jerry ran his mouth and stepped aside, possibly to make room for Callum to come in. “And that he should investigate what caused the bolt to stop functioning so suddenly.”