Chapter 6: Day 14

Voices overlapped as Torian, and others were herded into the Clan meeting room. The Chieftans took their seats around the table as they had done previously but today, they were also joined by Torian's counselors Breca and Broderic, and the guards that had accompanied each of their Chieftans across the borders and into Muisiriun. The bickering continued until Broderic banged the end of a wooden staff twice against the floor.

All eyes turned to Torian. "It has come to my attention that two of you have an issue with how I run things, however this crosses a line and is unacceptable," he roared as he tossed a newspaper onto the table in front of everyone. The newspaper had claimed that Torian had gone soft and spared the life of a coward as told by an 'anonymous source.' "For the record, my mages were given permission to go through Achill's memories and his account proved true, so I did not spare a coward's life. Even if I had, the punishment of death would not have fit the crime of cowardice. This is a new age and if you all are to remain in my territory for this meeting then I suggest you behave."

"Glad to hear he wasn't a true coward but knowing you would have spared the life of one is pathetic in itself." Sherrod stuck his chin out smugly as he made this proclamation to the group. His eyes seemed to wander around to the other's faces, perhaps in hope someone would jump in and agree with him.

"A coward can be useful in other ways and in my land, I will do as I please so long as I am in charge," Torian growled. "I have been more accommodating than you deserve. You have had food, shelter, nice rooms, service, protection, an invitation to Judgement Day, and all I have received in return is backstabbing and blabber. Enough is enough."

"Pray tell, what use would a coward have to society? I think perhaps it is time to recognize that you are unfit to be a Chieftan. Your son has softened you. The loss of your wife to the Muc softened you." Everyone's back stiffened as the words hissed out of Nigel. "Your clan sees this, just as we do. As Sidhe people we are proud warriors, if we are to lose, we lose with honor, not by turning tail in the midst of battle."

Breca began to jump to Torian's defense, but he raised his hand in silence. Broderic's face was contorted in an expression of undiluted rage, but he kept quiet as well. "If I wanted to hear of honor from a man who brings up the death of mates during an argument then I would have asked you. Everyone has lost someone to the Muc, I hope you don't mean to say that anyone with a family and a loss is suddenly weak. I also seem to recall helping you through your wife leaving you for a human and proclaiming you as an unfit husband, but I appreciate your marriage input on what love does to people."

Nigel's eyes widened and he began to stand up when Sherrod pulled him back down into his seat. Attempting to recover themselves, Sherrod straightened his robes and laid his hands on the table. "So, what use does a coward have in society then?" he pressed.

"Cannon fodder. Welcome to war." Torian pressed his lips into a hard line. Death by his hand was too large of a punishment for cowardice, but death amid war was a way for cowards to regain their honor and no one could dispute this. Nigel leaned back in his chair and glared down at the table, making no move to argue anymore.

Across the table from Torian, Sullivan lightly cleared his throat and then began, "Now that that's settled..." His eyes darted to Sherrod and Nigel as though he was taking pity on them, continuing, "is there any word on how far out your group is? Last we heard it was a two-week flight so I would assume they'll join us sometime today unless there were more complications."

Trystan spoke up in reply to this, "According to my guards they only caught a glimpse of the group near one of the passageways into Otherworld. They were unable to aid in their crossing due to a skirmish with the Muc at the border. If they did get across, they never stopped anywhere to rest or eat within my territory. Torian, do you have any intel that we don't on the matter?"

"No. I have no reports on them stopping anywhere within your territory or mine but perhaps they haven't stopped in order to arrive here at a reasonable time."

"Well, what if they never made it across the border? What do we do now?" Sullivan asked.

"I have faith they made it over, but if they aren't here within three days then these meetings are over and there's no point in continuing to have them." Torian raised his arms up in a motion as though the statement should have been obvious. "We would have to go without information, or another clan would have to send another group out. There's nothing more we can do if they don't return."

"For the sake of the clans, let us hope they return today," muttered Sullivan.

A hearty "Aye" filled the room as everyone grunted in agreement. Then the group settled back into silence, each consumed by their own thoughts. A knock on the door startled everyone from their reflections and Breca went to answer it. This time, a male guard in blue robes was waiting outside. He said something in a low voice that Torian couldn't make out, followed by Breca leaning in as he began whispering fervently into her ear. She pulled away and thanked him, closing the door behind him as he turned to leave.

She turned towards the awaiting Chieftans, and her eyes met Torian's. "The group has returned."

The table broke into a roar of excitement as everyone stood up and began patting each other on the backs. A few Chieftans even hugged one another as the excitement washed over them. Torian noticed as Nigel seemed to have a wave of relief coat his entire body.

"We need to talk," Breca whispered into Torian's ear.

He nodded and they stepped away from the table and headed towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Sullivan cried out, a large smile on his face.

"Right outside the door for just a moment, best to begin the ordering of the ale for tonight's celebration!" Torian grinned as he said this. Sullivan's smile became wider at the idea of ale and several Chieftans shouted in triumph at this news.

Broderic followed Breca and Torian outside the door and made sure it was shut behind them. Torian looked at Broderic, "Can you arrange for a celebration tonight? We must welcome home our mighty warriors!"

"Of course! I'll get the human ale Naoise loves. Let us begin the festivities!" Broderic clapped Torian on the back as he walked past him and began down the hall to ready the ale, a happy bounce in his step.

When Broderic could no longer be seen, Breca turned towards Torian and whispered his name, "Torian."

Still smiling, he looked at Breca and noticed the tears in the corner of her eyes. He shook his head in disbelief as she reached for one of his hands and he pulled back. "No."

"I'm sorry, but he's not with the group," she whispered.

"What do you mean he's not with the group?" demanded Torian.

"Only one of them returned and it's not Naoise," her voice cracked, and she rocked back and forth on her feet. "I'm so sorry."

The floor seemed to rush towards Torian, and it took him a second to realize that he had fallen to his knees. Tears rolled down his face in thick streams and a hard lump in his throat made it hard for him to breathe. He cried out in pain as his heart seemed to shatter into pieces. A vibration along his back made him aware that Breca was releasing magic to dull his pain, but he knew that nothing would help him right now. Nothing helped those many years ago when he had lost his beautiful wife, and nothing would help him now when his only son would not be returning home.