Chapter 9: Saying Goodbye

The high notes of wooden flutes floated across the grassy fields. The sky was darkening, and the faint outline of stars were just beginning to reveal themselves. A dirt patch had been cleared and large stones surrounded its borders. Five ovular stacks of sticks had been erected within it, each topped with a singular flower.

            A short distance from the patch stood another pile of sticks, but this one looked to have been haphazardly thrown together whilst the others looked to had been deliberately placed with care. Torian stood beside it, flanked by Breca and Broderic. To his left were the other Chieftains and joining them was what seemed to be every fairy within Muisiriun.

            Thousands gathered around and their voices overlapped in sounds of hope and reflection. For hours different people had taken turns speaking of those who had failed to return home. Close family members, distant family members, friends, and friends of friends took turns comforting one another. Music had filled the air and ale had filled their bellies for almost two full days since Sloan's arrival.

            As the night grew darker, an ancient woman stepped apart from the crowd. Her long grey hair laid over her hunched back and swished across the grass with every hobbling step. She tossed a small smile towards Torian as she passed him and took a stance in front of the five empty tombs. With a whisper, she sent a shower of golden sparks into the air causing all eyes to turn their attention to her. 

            "Let us remember those who have died honoring us and the ancestors." She leaned forward on a rugged cane as she spoke, her jowls flapping slightly with every word. "Everyone has gotten to speak of these warriors these past two days but let me tell you about the children I watched grow into these fine warriors." A large smile appeared within the sea of wrinkles surrounding her large mouth.

            "Seath was quick to anger and the first to speak whenever she didn't like something. You could never tell her that she was wrong. I recall her arguing with her gran as a child over how she did something wrong and eventually Macha gave up and let Seath win that battle. Over time, we also came to realize Seath had won the war." A chuckle arose from several in the crowd as the old woman continued to speak. "Macha would have been proud to have seen how strong Seath grew to be and with these words, I let Seath rest."

            The pile of sticks beside Torian suddenly sprung into a lively fire. Broderic pulled a burning stick from it and walked to the tomb furthest to the left of the crowd. He held the stick to the tomb and once it was successfully set ablaze, he stood beside the next and waited patiently.

            "Boyd was always shy. He never did learn to play well with others because he spent too much time playing within the forges. My late husband could only kick him out so many times until the little lad accidentally set part of his father's house on fire trying to make a sword in it. That same day his father begged my husband to take him on as an apprentice, to which he finally caved. Despite his shyness, he managed to obtain a couple friends and he grew to be an excellent smith. He often bragged about how his most treasured piece was the one which he had made for those friends on their wedding day, two friends who join him and the gods today. With these words, I let Boyd rest." The old woman's voice never showed any emotion outside of happiness as she recounted the memories as they came to her, but a darkness seemed to flash in her eyes for a split second, only to disappear within the next.

            Once Broderic had set the next tomb alight, she continued on with her tales of memories past. "Bevin and Corwin were always meant to be with each other from the very beginning. Bevin was always very sensitive, and Corwin wanted to save her from not only those who would give her grief, as small as it may have been, but also from herself. When Bevin fell gravely ill as a child, Corwin came to me and asked for stew and various potion recipes to aid in the recovering process. As bad of a cook as he was, that stew brought light back to that child's eyes. They were inseparable from that point on, the duo of dreams. Their marriage was one we had all called and looked forward to and Corwin's wedding present that he had Boyd craft for Bevin was one she never let go of not even when she died. To no one's surprise, they were both gifted the Soulmate Mark after their union. May they be reunited in death, and with these words I let them rest."

            The crackling of the fire grew louder as Broderic proceeded to light two more of the tombs on fire. Taking his place by the last one, his hand slightly shook but he steadied himself. A small smile found its place on his face, and he stood basking in the warmth of the fire, his eyes closed as he stood there.

            "And then there was one." The old woman cast her eyes over to Torian as she stated this. His face had stayed emotionless for the entire ceremony so far. A seemingly hollow shell of a man who existed only days prior. He did not react to her words, but instead looked on towards his son's tomb. "Naoise was always a sweet boy, though he had a habit of practical jokes that did not pair well with his petty nature as a youth. I watched him swap sauce on another's bread roll with cow manure, when I asked him why he said the boy had been talking a great deal of how awful Naoise was at magic. I thought it best not to interfere in the affairs of the youth." A small chuckled escaped from her at this.

            "I watched that poor boy cough up that cow manure sandwich. He of course got his revenge later and the two took a series of turns with pranking each other in the grossest ways imaginable. Mostly involving poop. Caoimhe would come over often and tell me of her son's newest ventures. Time did him well when it came to his behavior, and he had friends wherever he roamed. A born leader and a bright light, with these words, I let Naoise rest."

            Broderic lit the last tomb on fire and then tossed the burning stick onto the top. Several minutes passed by and then the old woman began to chant soft and low. Everyone joined in with soft unified humming as she continued her chants, and the fires began to grow brighter. The flames rose in height, the smoke billowing up into the night sky. Then with a flash, the fires were gone, the tombs were gone and in their place the flowers which had adorned the tops remained.

            The old woman hobbled towards the flowers, barely having to bend over to scoop them up due to her small stature, and one by one, as she cradled them in her palms, they morphed into beautiful gemstones, all different colors and sizes. A beautiful light purple Amethyst for Seath, a Rose Quartz for Boyd, two sparkling Diamonds for Bevin and Corwin, and an iridescent Opal for Naoise.

            She handed all but the Opal to Broderic and instructed him to give them to their next of kin. Then she shuffled over to where Torian was standing. He stretched his arms out and cupped his hands together in anticipation to receive the small stone.

            As she laid the Opal down into the palms of his hands she whispered, "He is with you now." His face unchanging, she turned away to face the crowd again. "Let us continue to celebrate their lives!" she called. The sky exploded into color as more sparks were sent streaming into the air. The sound of the flutes and laughter resumed and continued through the night and until the dawn.