30 | Epilogue

Five Years Later 

Five Years Later 

MY TOES TAPPED incessantly, and my eyes scanned the enormous room. A clicking sound echoed behind me with every step forward as my high-heels slapped against the chipped hardwood. I swear I made sweat trails behind me.

There was a perfect amount of wall space, but every surface required a fresh paint job. Even the hardwood needed pried up and refurbished. I'm sure the cobwebs on the ceiling housed a colony of spiders I did not want to purchase with the building. However, the sunshine from the skylight made up for the nagging reminder this entire place required a 100-person renovation.

I snapped a couple of photos for Elijah before the realtor turned around and asked, "So, what do you think?" Her face fell when our eyes locked. "Oh, you look frightened."

I snorted. "Frightened isn't the right word, and I'm just overwhelmed thinking about all the fixing up I'll have to do if I get this place."

"I get it." She threw her hands up, her stacks of papers tucked underneath her arm. "But you don't come across a place like this Charleston very often."

"I know. Do I have to put down a deposit today?"

She leaned against the industrial beam spanning from the floor to the ceiling. "Well, you are lucky because this building is not in high demand here, so there aren't many bidders. However, I will advise you since it's listed at such a great price, I would not recommend waiting too long. Someone could always purchase it and tear it down."

I nodded.

After looking around a couple of minutes more, we said our goodbyes and I told the realtor I would get in contact with her soon. When I slid into my car in the sweltering summer heat, I cranked my air conditioning and called Elijah.

"Hi, baby," he answered on the second ring. "Ah! Remember, bats stay at our sides!"

"Are your kiddos acting up again?" I laughed, wiping the sweat from my forehead and putting my car in reverse.

"I think it's from the heat. They just don't want to be at practice." His voice quieted as he added, "And neither do I."

"I think I'm gonna sleep in my car tonight with the AC on. Do you wanna join?"

"Can't we just sleep naked like we have been?"

My cheeks burned at the image. Elijah and I were under the flat sheet, the damp covers beneath us while our tangled bodies stuck together.

Thanks to our broken air conditioning unit, no matter how sweaty we were this past week, he still woke me with gentle kisses and his hand between my thighs. The rising sun would slowly pour through the blinds, and our morning ended with him carrying me into the cool shower, still writhing with pleasure.

If having broken air conditioning meant waking up like that every morning, I would keep it. But knowing Elijah, the state of our air conditioner did not matter in that aspect.