Bonus | Endings & New Beginnings

mature content ahead: you must be 18+ to view this chapter

ELIJAH HOISTED THE LAST clothing box into my car. We stood, staring at the front of my apartment complex, which had become a tiny time capsule, holding all of my college memories captive. I wanted them back.

A lump in my throat formed. "Oh no, I'm going to cry again."

Before Elijah had a chance to wrap his arms around me, Reva fell into my arms in a sob. "What the hell am I going to do without you?" She sniffled in my hair, and my tears began to fall. "Who's going to do the dishes?"

Laughter meld with my tears. "That's all I'm good for?"

"I'm kidding, you know. I just don't know how to do what comes next."

I held her shoulders. "You are going to do big things."

"So are you."

Elijah's hand rubbed between my shoulder blades and cast an empathetic smile.

This was the inevitable moment that never felt tangible.

Adulthood.

Real adulthood.

Unlike college adulthood which was simply Bootcamp, preparing us for what some may consider the real world. Except, I don't feel prepared at all. Every month that passed leading closer to graduation only made me realize you're never fully prepared for what's next. You just have to be brave enough to take chances.

Since we were born, we had our lives planned out: pre-school, kindergarten, six years of elementary school followed by three of junior high, four of high school, and roughly four years of undergraduate (give or take everyone's unique educational and life path or geographical location).

And now my schedule overflowing with tasks was completed, leaving me with a calendar of endless white boxes needing to be filled.

"I see your brain gears smoking." Elijah pulled me to his side. "Can I help put out the mini-fire inside your head?"

I tucked my face by his armpit, causing him to laugh. "Nothing we haven't talked about already."

"It'll be okay."

I knew it would be okay because I had him.

Elijah was the one tether I had between college and my future, preventing me from floating into a dark abyss. Figuring out how we would stay in each other's lives was not easy. It resulted in many tears, late-night conversations, and hard decisions.

Were we ready to live together? Where would we stay? What job would we have? Where was Elijah furthering his education? What would our parents think?

Most importantly, was this what we wanted?