Chapter 10 Look Down and See the Beggars at Your Feet

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

~Mahatma Gandhi

Chapter 10 Look Down and See the Beggars at Your Feet

I go back to class the next day. I expect my professors to be furious with me, but they don't even mention my absence except to give me the notes I missed. I suspect that is Combeferre's doing, though I don't know what he told them. Or maybe it was Belle; she knows me better than anyone. I can tell she knows something is wrong, but she hasn't asked me about it, for which I am grateful.

I try to focus on my schoolwork, to take my mind off of Her, but nothing holds my attention. All I can think about is the injustice of it all, the people starving and dying on the streets and the rich who never raise a finger to help. The corruption, the abuse of power that has taken root in our government. I have to change things. I just don't know how.

I talked to my classmates about it; they all seemed hesitant, but Marius has agreed to come with me to the slums today. We are going to pass out pamphlets in Gavroche's part of town.

~~~~~~~~~~

The streets are full of sick and crippled people, begging for just a crumb of bread, just enough to keep them alive. Were things ever this bad for Her? The thought occurs to me before I can block it out. I imagine a head of curly blonde hair moving through the crowd and my heart lurches.

I glance at Marius; there is fury on his face as he takes in the suffering around him. "Where are the leaders of the land? Where are the swells who run this show?"

"Only one man, and that's Lamarque, speaks for the people here below." I reply.

Marius looks around at the beggars. "Lamarque is ill and fading fast; on't last the week out, so they say."

I nod. "With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day, before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise!"

Marius nods enthusiastically then walks away to talk to Eponine. I head toward the Cafe Musain; the rest of our friends have agreed to meet us there to talk about the revolution. It was Combeferre that suggested we gather there, though he doesn't know the significance of the place. I'm not even sure how he knew it existed. At first I was hesitant-that places belongs to Her-but it is for Her that I am doing this, so why not do it in Her place? Even if the very sight of the rock-faced building pains me; the pain will keep me going, keep me fighting for Her.

A/N: Sorry it has taken me so long to update, I've been really busy with Into the Woods. And sorry this is so short, I'm pretty sure I wrote it like a year ago in the middle of a performance of Les Mis, when I was exhausted and brain-dead, so I'll use that as my excuse. Nevertheless, (I love writing that word) I hope you enjoyed it! :)