Chapter 12 Do You Hear the People Sing?

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must strengthen our backs and work for our freedom. A man can't ride you unless your back is bent."

~Martin Luther King Jr.

Chapter 12 Do You Hear the People Sing?

"Well, Courfeyrac, do we have all the guns?" I ask. "Feuilly, Combeferre, our time is running short. Grantaire, put that bottle down!" I yell.

I barely notice Gavroche, who runs in with a shout of "Listen!"

"Do we have the guns we need?"

"Listen to me!!"

"Give me brandy on my breath," Grantaire brags, "and I'll breathe them all to death!"

"Listen everybody!!!" Gavroche is standing on a table, his hands spread in exasperation. "General Lamarque is dead."

The room falls silent. Around me the students sit, their legs growing weak with shock and grief, and cover their faces with their hands. I meet Gavroche's red-rimmed eyes. "Lamarque is dead." I whisper. Then an idea takes root in my mind. "Lamarque, his death is the hour of fate! 'The people's man' his death is the sign we await!" I look around, excited, but no one seems to have out the pieces together. "On his funeral day they will honor his name." I explain, meeting Gavroche's eyes. He grins. Good, he understands. "With the light of rebellion ablaze in their eyes!" The other students start to catch on; I see them nodding, hear excited murmurs bounce around the room. "From their candles of grief we will kindle our flame. At the tomb of Lamarque shall our barricade rise!" The students leap to their feet. "The time is here; let us welcome it gladly with courage and cheer!" Cheers echo around me. I climb onto the center table and brandish the red cloth in the air over my head. "Let us take to the streets with no doubt in our hearts, but a jubilant shout; they will come one and all!"

The students join in, "They will come when we call!"

"To the streets!" Combeferre yells.

"Do you hear the people sing
Singing the song of angry men?
It is the music of a people
Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!" I sing as we march through the streets.

Combeferre steps up beside me. "Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?"

"Then join in the fight
That will give you the right
To be free!" Courfeyrac cries.

"Do you hear the people sing
Singing the song of angry men?
It is the music of a people
Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!"

"Will you give all you can give
So that our banner may advance?
Some will fall and some will live
Will you stand up and take your chance?
The blood of the martyrs
Will water the meadows of France!" Feuilly exclaims.

I catch sight of my sister in the gathering crowd, he dark blue eyes shining as she marches. "What are you doing here?" I ask her.

Belle frowns. "You think I don't know what you've been up to lately?"

"I-"

"You're right, Enjolras." She interrupts me. "Things do need to change. And I want to help."

I smile at my sister.

"Do you hear the people sing
Singing the song of angry men?
It is the music of a people
Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!"