THE SCARLET BOOK

Nadine returned half an hour ago. And I swear there was something somber about her expression that did not sit well with me. She sat across from us in the small reading room we had moved to eyes burning a hole into the table that separated us.

Terrance was basically dozing off beside me~air pods plugged in. Probably jet lagged and tired from all that talk we had about what he had been up to over the few weeks he had not been around.

Sighing loudly,I shift a bit forward in the sofa frowning up at Nadine.

"You're acting strange." I go straight to the point and her green eyes meet mine.

She shrugs "Why would you say that?"

I huff "Come on Nad. The library is closed and it is not even nine pm. We both know you never break a cycle. Plus ever since that woman came by you have been all odd and I honestly don't like it," she bites her lip and let's out a small chuckle.

"Always so observant."

"You can tell me anything you know. Please just tell me and put me outta this misery Nad. I hate feeling that you both know something I don't."

Nadine's eyebrows scrunch in confusion
"What?"

"Don't play dumb. You want to tell me it is a coincidence Terrance just shows up after going AWOL the same day a mystery woman comes by to piss you off?" She blinks clearly taken aback.

"Give me some credit,I maybe clueless but not that dense. Can you~can you please just at least tell me you are okay? I don't like you being quiet it's weird."

Nadine sighs exasperatedly taking another sip of coffee from her mug,licking her lips before turning to me with a look of hesitance. She raises a finger,gets up and walks into a pathway into the shelves containing the forbidden history books.

Well forbidden to me at least.

She closes her eyes running her fingers slowly across the books. I watch with concentration and confusion until I see her eyes flutter open when her fingers stop on a scarlet book resting on the second compartment.

Grabbing the book she heads towards me as I watch her in anticipation waiting for her to explain herself to me.

"Do you know why even after knowing you for three good years I tell you to stay away from the history section?" She asks after taking her seat.

I shake my head.

"Well Bernice.. this is why."

And then she opens the scarlet book.

A/N

Not good at this author's note thing that much. I am good though at expressing how grateful I am to those who support my writing and comment and vote also. It means so much to me as a person and a writer also. I am very thankful. Absolutely thankful 😘😘.