Chapter 5

OSRIC

It had been two days since Tanhya had left. With her gone and the relief plan underway I thought now was a good time to visit my mother. She had been asking to see me for quite a while but I always turned her down using the excuse that I was busy. Whilst I definitely was busy I still could have made time to see her, I was simply avoiding her. However, it had been nearly 2 months since I last saw her, if I continued to postpone it would look bad.

 I had a gift for her so hopefully that would make up for my avoiding her. Since my mothers' osteo-arthritis, which she was diagnosed with 3 years ago, had gotten worse in the past year. I had a wheel chair specially made for her so she could move around the castle a bit. It was early in the morning as I made to her room I wanted to get it over and done with so I could get on with the rest of my day. I mentally prepared myself before going in to see her.

"Good morning mother."I greeted as I entered her room and went straight for the sitting area.

"Osric, it's been a while." She replied as she also came into the room having been on the balcony. She slowly walked to the seating area with the help of her lady-in-waiting.

"Yes, sorry I've been busy." I lied as she was slowly helped to sit down on the seat opposite mine. She winced in pain from having to bend her knees.

"So I heard." She replied but it seemed like she didn't believe me. "Did you see the Queen off before she left?"She asked me once she was settled.

A frustrated sigh escaped my mouth. "Yes, I did." The answer left in a harsh tone."I come in to see you and that's the first thing you say to me?"

"I'm sorry darling, it's just you don't always follow rules so I have to make sure."

I was already regretting having come to see her but I didn't have a choice. I just had to talk to her for a little bit then I could go. "How have you been feeling? I see you can move around a bit." I then asked her, quickly changing the subject.

"Yes, I've been feeling stronger lately hopefully I'll be able to go outside soon." She proceeded to tell me all the progress she'd made in gaining more strength in the past couple of weeks.

She then asked how I was doing and how I was handling the flooding situation. I briefly explained details of everyhting I'd done. Sharing with her my current plans and what I was working on. We then talked about a few other topics for a little while before our conversation began to slow down. At this point I felt I'd talked to her long enough and that this was my cue to leave before she found a chance to "start".

I stood up and went to stand by the window of her room which overlooked her balcony. I planned to give her the gift and then excuse myself to go continue working.

"So Osric, when do you plan to have an heir?" My mother then suddenly asked. "It's been 2 years since you married."

My eyes closed and I winced hard in dissapointment. I'd failed to escape in time. I'd wanted to leave before she could start attacking me. However, I didn't want to make it so obvious that I wanted to avoid her. I knew she was waiting for a chance to bring something up. Even so I hadn't expected her to ask me this of all things.

"Where is this coming from?"I asked her as I turned away from the window to look at her.

"No where really, I was just wondering when I could expect to have a grandchild,  but you haven't 'been with Tanhya ever since the first night on your wedding day."

"Mother!" I exclaimed in embarassment,"Why are you suddenly bringing this up? Besides didn't you and father have me in your 3rd year of marriage?"

"That's true but we'd been trying to conceive ever since we married."