Chapter 3

Tanhya

I had doubts about doing this. Something was telling me it wasn't a good idea but my stubbornness was particularly eager. Despite what I knew would be the likely outcome, I had to try.

Standing at the front of the court room the stares of the Royal council intimidated me. It felt like I was a prey being sought after by multiple predators. Their eyes scrutinized me. I quickly composed myself and stood tall to give the appearance of being calm and confident. Just as I had been taught.

Gathering all my courage my mouth opened to speak. The voice that came out managed to be clear and steady. "I would like to propose an idea that was overlooked in the report of the possible relief plan. I believe it will help tremendously with the flooding situation."

I didn't have to look behind me to know that Osric who was seated on his throne probably wasn't paying attention to me. In any case I didn't want to look at him as I spoke.

"Though it was not under my jurisdiction I talked to the experts who were in charge to explain to me the idea of harvesting the flood water."

Basically, the flood relief plan was based of suggestions made by environmentalists and engineers the council sent to assess the flooding. They were asked, based on their expertise, what the best way to deal with the situation would be. They produced a report with several solutions. Osric and the council selected the ones they thought were best from the list.

"..... The idea is to create large reserve tanks underground connected to drainage pipes on the surface that will redirect the flood waters into the tanks. This would decrease the water levels at a faster rate. Considering the damages to infrastructure, the diseases that have already started to spread lowering the water levels as soon as possible would be a great advantage. There might be things that are still salvageable. But that's not all, if there's ever heavy rainfall in future the reserves will act as an anti-flood system, the collected water could then be used in a time of need..."

I hadn't helped in choosing the original plan because at the time I was tasked with checking and writing reports on what resources the kingdom had lost to the floods and what was left. After the relief plan was decided I was then tasked with going over the chosen suggestions and check if the required resources were available. As I did so I came across the reserve idea. Whilst there was nothing wrong with the chosen plan I just felt this idea should also be included.

".....The initial investment will be costly but I assure you it will give greater returns in the future. I'm sure you've all noticed that as of late the weather has been quite unpredictable. Last winter was far colder than usual. This season we anticipated that there could be a possibility of heavy rains but the outcome was far worse than we imagined. What will the next winter be like? What if the next summer is dry? With such unpredictable conditions wouldn't it be better we stay prepared for any likely event?"

Throughout my presentation I kept checking the councils attention on me. To see if I was slowly convincing them. However, nothing had changed. The stares they gave me told me, they were all too ready to pick me apart. I lost the slither of hope I'd had at the start of my presentation. I 'couldn't wait to hear' what they thought of my idea.

I finished my presentation and now waited for the council to share their thoughts. The Royal council consisted of 6 high ranking families. These were the founding families of the kingdom (7 inlcuding the royal family). Duke Daeil of the Daeil family, Duke Mauris, Duchess Imbra, Duke Talem, Duke Holden, Duke Saphir and Duchess Saphir.

Almost immediately after I was done speaking, Duke Daeil, Osrics' secretary was the first to speak up. "The idea is too expensive. With the resources required and with the state we are in as it is, we don't have any resources to waste ." he scoffed.