Chapter 6

OSRIC

After my meeting with the delegate, I was informed by Duke Daeil of my next meeting which was with former Duke Remdon.

It had been a couple of days since my last meeting with him. There were still a few formalities to take care of but in a week or so it would be done. Duke Remdons' case was quite the peculiar case in terms of how it was being handled. There were a lot of leniencies given to Duke Remdon and his son. His son, Frederick Remdon, was actually supposed to be arrested and sentenced to prison, using funds from the palace for one's personal gain was illegal. However, due to a change in priorities when the floods occurred I decided to reduce the punishment. Instead, Duke Remdon would just be stripped of his title and all the land that was given to him, taken back.

I also delayed handling his case till after I was done dealing with the flooding. I had Duke Remdon stay in the castle temporarily as it would be easier for him and I to meet. An investigation had already been carried out on the gambling incident and now Duke Remdon and I were dealing with the legal formalities of going over the evidence signing documents etc.

After Duke Daeil was done helping me with my schedule for the day,  before he left he told me. "Just to inform you the Queen and Duke Mauris have formed an agreement to install the reserve tanks on their own respective properties."

"Well good for her." I scoffed. I wasn't so sure why Tanhya was so hell-bent on that reserve tank idea of hers to the point she was willing to build some for herself using her own personal expenses. But that was her choice to make so it didn't matter.

**********

Later that night with still quite a lot of paperwork to do I found myself unable to focus anymore. I placed the documents down, got up from my seat, and went to stand at the window of the office. It overlooked the large castle gardens below specifically the king's private garden area.

After contemplating for a little bit I decided to go for a walk in them, perhaps a little air would help take things off my mind. The argument with my mother was still bothering me. Why was it always like this? Every time I visited my mother we rarely ever didn't have an argument. And when we were arguing most of the time it had something to do with Tanhya. Everything was always about Tanhya.

Having exited the building I then entered the garden. I was headed for a small pool of water which was located near the center of the garden. I often went there to sit and contemplate when I found myself troubled. Passing through the many trees and bushes I neared the clearing where the pool was. Then I heard what appeared to be sobs. My legs stopped moving to listen more clearly. Without a doubt from up ahead near the pool there was someone crying. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

This part of the gardens were specifically the kings' private space.  The castle gardens were spread out across the castle and usually large, tall well trimmed hedges that looked like walls were used to separate different sections of the gardens.  No one was supposed to be in this section except for me and the guards who would occasionally patrol. Curiously I made my way toward the sobs to get a closer look.

Seated on a bench near the pool was a young woman, her hands covered her face as she agressively wiped tears away. She had curly brown hair, a small slender frame, pale skin. As I took in her features I realized there was something familiar about her. Her hands eventually came away from her face allowing me to clearly see.

Then I remembered how I knew her. She was Duke Remdons' daughter. The duke had brought her to one of their meetings a few days ago after the flooding plan briefing and introduced her. Her name was Samara, if I remembered corectly.

Then the questions piled up. Why was she crying? What had happened ? And how had she ended up in my gardens?

I slowly approached her. She looked up when she heard me approach but didn't glance behind to see who it was. "Father please, leave me alone!" She screamed at me, clearly unaware. As I continued to get closer to her, she then finally looked behind her. "Fathe..."She stopped talking as soon as she saw my face. Samara observed my face then looked at my clothing probably noticing my royal attire.