IX

Évrard D'Aboville-The Creature 

"Hang on. Is that you Évrard?" A dismembered voice called behind me.

'Fuck!' I screamed mentally, hoping she wasn't listening to my thoughts.

My gaze met with frightened brown eyes. Was she always really this short? I'm nearly a foot taller. I suddenly became self-conscious of my hand on the curve of her hip and the other on the soft slope of her neck. She smelled like rose oil, bergamot, and something else I couldn't place, or I was getting too fucking old. And we were standing too fucking close.

I turned my head to the sound of heels clicking softly in my direction. Looking over my shoulder and who should I see but Anaïs strutting down the dirty back alley in her stiletto red bottoms.

The square shaped sunglasses she wore sat precariously on the tip of her nose. Today's accoutre was a stunning body-hugging black dress. Her long auburn hair was pulled into a well-coiffed messy bun. She was certainly out of her element. Much too refined for her shabby surroundings.

I could pass for the knuckle-cracking, mafia, mob boss criminal type as I nearly always wore a suit and typically without a tie. I have features oft mistaken for Macedonian which is not far from truth.

Do forgive me, but you'll never catch me in anything less than a pair of well fitted slacks and collared shirt. I suppose that makes it obvious that I am from a different time. I also heavily favor the color black. Yes, the color of my soul. If I had one. Still, I'd rather be flayed on a spit over fire before I'd be caught in skinny jeans or hoochie daddy shorts.

"Évrard," She purred, and my attention refocused. "I was on an errand nearby. I am quite surprised to find you here. I didn't realize you regained an interest in the on-goings at the Dirty Cauldron."

"Yes. Well. My interests are varied." My tone was too clipped and that drew her notice even more. I tried in vain to hide the small body between myself and the wall but of course her senses were too keen. She probably noticed her the moment she stepped into the dimly lit alley.

"I gather something or rather someone has garnered your interest." She moved closer peering beneath my arm. "Hello little mouse." Her rouged lips pulled into a deceptively disarming smile. One of her many talents.

"Hi," The little witch gave a wave of her hand with milquetoast moderation.

"Do not speak to her." I ordered. Hoping whatever badly patched up spell she was using to hide her scent would continue to work. I'd be royally fucked if Anaïs found out who she is.

"Who are you, my love?" She bent forward, hands clasped behind her back, as if speaking to a child.

"I am-" She started to answer but I didn't allow her to finish.

"I told you not to speak." I grab her by the wrist and in a subtle move I pull her behind me angling our bodies, so we were both downwind.

"Why so selfish Évrard?" She leaned to one side to eye the witch. "She..." Anaïs gave the word a long sound, then licked her lips, "Looks exquisite."

"Ana-" My hand shot out as she stepped forward forcing her to stop.

"Oh. I see." She folded her arms over her chest. "I thought you meant to make her squawk instead you want to make her squeal. I'm sure you won't mind if I join the two of you." She tapped the point of her index finger against her lips. "I must say, Évrard, you do have taste. A creole beauty with enough shape, that she could make a coloring book envious. You have very good taste." She winked slyly at the witch.

I heard her heartbeat pick up but settle right back down. She was more afraid of Anaïs, than she was attracted to her. For some reason I liked knowing that. Not that it mattered what she liked one bit to me. Whyever, would I want to care about someone I planned to feed on. I considered the earlier hick up a simple glitch and nothing more. My plans have not changed.

"There'll be none of that either. Izmir," Her name rolled off my tongue with an odd familiarity. "Was just leaving."

I turn to her giving Anaïs my back. I placed both hands on her shoulders. "You should leave, now." I point my chin in the direction opposite Anaïs. I knew she was clever. She knew instantly what I meant. She understood that Anaïs was just like me. She nodded nervously.

"It was nice to meet you, Izmir. Such a pretty name for a pretty girl-"

She hardly finished when a strong breeze reversed course and whatever little charm the witch had cast completely wore off. We both were hit with a wave of the most potent scent of magic. Like it been bottlenecked and came gushing out.

"Évrard! She is-" I moved blindingly fast to clamp my hand over Anaïs' mouth.

"I know." I grunted as she successfully fought me off.

"Then why did you tell Sabien you couldn't find her. Why did you claim she had vanished?" She looked angry or baffled I couldn't rightly say which.

I pull my lips into a half smile, "You know how I enjoy a hunt."

"Is that all she is? Because if Sabien finds out, you and I both know what he will do."

"Yes. Yes, I know." I waved her off.

"I can leave. I promise you'd never see me again," The little witch's voice trembled.

"Has she tried-" I knew what she would say but I didn't want to hear it.

"She does not, and I suspect never has purposefully practiced magic." I answer, hoping that settled the matter.

Anaïs took a few steps forward. "See to it that you don't, Izmir. If my brother finds you, practicing or not, the smell of your blood reveals who you are. He will have you killed."

"So, you're not going to kill me either?" She asked in fearful disbelief.

"Why no darling." Anaïs waved her hand with dramatic flair. "I only kill for food everything else is simply a waste. Besides, your lives are so fleeting you'll be gone in half a century."

"Bitter comfort." The witch said under her breath.

"She's right, little witch. You need to leave New Orleans perhaps even the United States. And I suggest that you nor your kin return."

She nodded. Gripping her handbag for dear life, she skuttled down the alley and disappeared around the bend. It wasn't much longer till she was in her car, then her scent was gone.

"Évrard," I felt her yank on my lapel. "You have some explaining to do. And this better be good."