~ Epilogue ~

Elaine yawned, exhausted as she walked the corridors of her large house

Elaine yawned, exhausted as she walked the corridors of her large house. On days like these, she couldn't wait for Richie to get back from work. Though, minus the fatigue, she wouldn't trade it for anything. As she carried a full basket of laundry to the living room, she was startled when Richie's strong arms suddenly wrapped themselves around her waist. She must've not heard him come in. Richie pressed soft delicate kisses on her face, his scruffy beard making her squirm from underneath him.

She laughed, giving up on resisting, "Rich, it tickles," Placing the laundry basket on the floor, Elaine finally kissed him back. Pulling away, Richie smirked at her, "I didn't know I married a housewife," He paused and chuckled to himself, "Lucky me," He went chortling. Elaine rolled her eyes at her foolish husband, "Far from that, actually," Sitting on the couch, she began to fold the clean clothes in the basket. "I just got the energy to get up and do something," She sighed, dissatisfaction in her tone.

Putting a hand on his wife's shoulder, Richie gave her the best smile he could, "At least you did something, Laine!!" Elaine gave him an unsatisfied look, "Rich, t's almost 6:00, we usually eat around this time." He grimaced, trying to come up with an excuse that would make her feel better. "It's normal, you were practically up all night last night, it's good you got some rest," Starting to cheer up, Elaine gave him a smile, still hesitant she continued, "But," Her smile faded, worry in her eyes. "What about dinner?"

Richie busted out laughing, Elaine's eyebrows furrowing at his surprising reaction. "You're worried about dinner right now?" Elaine crossed her arms with a pout, "I happen to be hungry," Smiling to himself, Richie shook his head, "No need to worry about dinner, Lainey. Lucky for you, you have the most lovely husband who will never let you starve," Smiling, Elaine saw a flash of young Richie in him. "What do you want, honey?" He asked phone in hand. "You're going to make dinner?" Elaine asked, dreading the taste of the aftermath.

He snorted, "Oh, god no, I'm not cruel! I'm ordering food." Richie smiled, the Uber Eats page open on his screen, "God, I love technology!" Scrolling through the options, he rambled, "Like, imagine if we had this shit when we were kids!" He went on, "How are kids even unhappy when they have this!" His eyes stayed glued to the screen, "I had the arcade and that was enough for me! But no, kids these days are spoiled little brats who-" The sound of a sharp cry interrupted his rant. Richie immediately shut up, his eyes wide.

Elaine sighed, standing up from her spot on the couch, "Not again," She grumbled, her slippers dragging on the expensive wooden floors as she started to walk. "I've got it," Richie tossed his wife his phone, "Here, order something good like.. Pizza!" He hurriedly ran up the stairs, gently pushing open the door to his daughter's room. The crying sounds ceased, a smile erupting on the man's lips when he realized his presence alone could make her stop crying. He made his way through the light green room he and Elaine had re-painted together that same winter.

After being plagued by the old nursery in Derry, the room needed a renovation. Especially when they found out the room would finally be used. Many different bugs and birds were painted on its walls, followed by clouds and little trees. In the corner, Richie's mother's rocking chair was tucked by a tall bookshelf filled to the brim with books. Sure, the room wasn't extraordinary but Elaine insisted on including small details like these. Richie's big feet sunk into the soft navy carpet as he made his way to look inside the crib.

Moving the bird mobile out of the way, Richie peered over at his small baby girl. Seeing her father come into view, the baby wiggled her arms and legs with excitement, her chubby cheeks forming dimples with her sweet smile. With a huge grin, Richie reached for his daughter, "Hi Edi girl," He sang, kissing her once teary and now smiley face. Stroking the soft fabric of Edi's pastel bird-covered onesie, Richie couldn't help but remark how Elaine had outdone herself dressing their baby today.

Sitting on his mother's old rocking with his daughter, it was like history repeating itself. Edi tightly swaddled in his arms, he gave her a look, "You've been a good girl for mommy while daddy was at work?" Though Richie knew babies couldn't understand English, he did like to believe she could understand him. When Edi grimaced at his words, Richie gave her a stunned look. "You really gotta start giving your mama an easier time, you're going to exhaust her!" With his words, Elaine gently knocked at the door, "Everything okay in here?"

Richie smiled back at his wife, turning Edi to look at her. He smooshed the baby's cheeks together making it look like she could talk, "Yes Mom, you know, just quality time with my dad!" Elaine shook her head at him, holding back a laugh at the pout forming on Edi's face. "Put her down, Richie, she looks like she's about to have a fit," Extending her arms, Elaine delicately snatched their small girl from Richie. "Come here my baby, Mommy will save you from that evil man," Pressing thousands of soft kisses on Edi's face, Elaine smiled, "Mommy's gotcha now,"

Richie argued, his arms crossed, "Give her back!!" "No can do, girls only," Elaine spoke sassily, her lips in a straight line. Richie pretended to reach for his heart as if it ached but in reality, he was just admiring his two favourite girls. "How long were you standing there for?" Richie changed the subject. "Long enough," Elaine replied briefly, swaying with Edi. In reality, she'd had her ear against the door the whole time. She cleared her throat, remembering how Richie's eyes had stayed stuck on their daughter's bird pyjamas.

"I know that you think I'm a good stylist," "Yeah, I mean, birds, always cute on her," Elaine smiled sadly and sighed, "They remind me of Stan," Richie nodded, standing to join them. "I know," The three rocked together in the room, Elaine in Richie's arms and Edi in Elaine's arms. "I miss them too," Richie spoke quietly, caressing his wife's body as his hand caressed his daughter's small cheek. "I wish she could've just met them," Elaine sniffed, "Just once," She turned to look at the wooden dresser by the crib.

On it stood three frames, in one, a blurry photo of Elaine and Chris. The two were small and youthful, long before Chris even began to acquire horrible thoughts. The calm before the storm. Beside it stood a slightly thinner frame, inside existed an old Polaroid the Losers had taken one a hot summer's day at Elaine's. It reminded them of their childhood and how they'd still been able to have fun while on the hunt for a horrid clown.
It was cute, comforting almost.

And, in the last frame was a picture of the original Losers, Stanley, Bill, Eddie, Elaine and Richie all standing together in their grad caps. Their graduation day and the end of their first chapter. There was one last item placed on the desk, a small auburn porcelain bird; a nightingale, otherwise known as Stanley's favourite. Above everything, painted in cursive on the wall was the baby's full name. "Edith Christina Tozier" Richie snickered at her name, claiming it sounded like a grandma's name.

Elaine lightly smacked his shoulder, "It's cute, Richie!" He shook his head, "I mean, whatever you think, honey," Kissing Edith's cheek, Elaine beamed, "It suits her," Finally agreeing with his wife, Richie smiled, "It does suit her," He paused, chortling along as he heard the doorbell ring. "But it'll suit her even better when she's seventy," Running off, he lightly smacked Elaine's behind a few times on his way downstairs. The pizza delivery man at the door saved him from Elaine's oncoming roars.

She shook her head at the man, slowly making her way to the kitchen to find him. With a grin on her face, Elaine assured Edi that her father was a crazy man. Through the years, their happy ending did not come easy, in fact, it was really difficult. They'd literally gone through hell and back to obtain their little family, but it was ultimately here and better than the two could have ever imagined.

"You got pineapple!" Richie exclaimed excitedly from the kitchen. Elaine laughed to herself, "Yes Richie" At the end of the day, minus the endless amounts of trauma, everything worked out. Richie's promise from all those years ago had realized itself. Here, they were united as a family now. Elaine was home and wouldn't trade it for the world.

The end.