Chapter 4

Two demons stand before me. Their body covered in scales, eyes like sharp slits of yellow, and blood all over their face. There is no one at the moment that I could call for help and the only person besides me has lost her mind. The next few moments will decide our fate.

They launched towards us, diminishing the gap that stood at forty feet. I grab her hands and picked her up in an instant to turn around and run at full throttle. I cannot outrun the demons while holding her and she is unable to protect herself.

I will hide her, and deal with them alone.

While carrying her, I jumped on the fence and through the window of what looked like an empty building. Once inside, I covered her mouth using my hand to suppress our presence here.

She still hasn't calmed down, and if the demons find us the situation repeats itself. Without intending to hurt her, I knock her out with a swift strike to the head. I pull out her phone and left it there for me to contact her later.

It's about time I head out.

They are here, circling me. A hunter won't care for the prey out of their reach as long as they have someone right in front of their eyes. This situation is anything but normal. But I had dealt with worse in the screening.

The demons rush towards me, their teeth showing. From their ability, I can deduce these two most likely belong to the third tier. I make sharp movements to avoid them at the last second and run away from the place where she was hidden.

It is risky to enter close-quarter combat without any knowledge of their abilities. Furthermore, when it comes to kai, I cannot use it as of now and I do not have a flux gun either.

I jump on a fence and then to the roof of a small building keeping an eye on them. The smaller one is faster while the other has a long range of combat using Kai blasts which it emits from its mouth. I dodge one, which hits the roof's surface right where I stood and a clear hole appeared.

I can enter a hand-to-hand scenario with any of them alone, but the authorities will be arriving here soon. I don't want anyone to think a teenager handled two demons of the third tier by himself. Killing them and running away is the last resort.

Exchanging the blows with the smaller one, I try to weaken it a bit but it is hard to land a clean one due to the gap in size. The other one fires a blast every once in a few seconds which I have to dodge at all costs. My stamina is draining quickly and this strategy won't keep me out of harm in a few minutes.

My phone buzzed. She's up. I broke through the glass window down in the building away from demons as I answered her call.

"What's happening !?" She shouted.

"Run out of this place, and quietly. Now!" I instructed her.

"Where are you!?" She yelled again.

"I am fine. I can outrun them, you cannot. So move away now," I said and cut the phone.

I hide somewhere outside the building. This place is some distance away from her.

She should be fin—oh no.

I heard a faint sound. She took the wrong approach and the demon saw her.

I move out quickly and get between the two of them before it could reach her. They are here again, and the situation has repeated itself. Just this time I don't have much stamina in me.

I have to kill them and run away before the police arrive.

The two demons rush in, and I make use of my analysis of their abilities to distract the close-range attacker at once and rush straight to the second one, but it starts to run away. As expected it is not good at attacks from a close range.