Chapter LXVIII - Loopholes

Author's Note:

Here we go again ;) I hope you're all excited for the Solitude plotline. It's the longest one yet. Fifteen chapters of 'fun' just like Bishop promised :D That would be lot of paladins to take, but it's not just about that :) There will be plenty of excitement, adventure, drinking shenanigans, smut and all that jazz ;)

I just wanted to thank everyone still sticking around. It really means a lot to me that you're still reading this long-ass story (and let's face it, it's not nearing the actual end by a long shot). I really hope you'll keep enjoying the fic as it continues on :) I am definitely still enjoying writing it and I really hope that you'll still have fun reading it :)

Anyway, here's the first chapter of the arc :) Hope you like it <3

__________________________________________________

"Ugh, here we go again."

Bishop groaned as they passed the stables on their way up the hill towards Solitude.

Their journey across the province was quite uneventful, which turned out to be a welcome respite after the events in Windhelm. So welcome that they had prolonged their journey with more time camping in the wilderness – in secure enough locations, of course, surrounded by traps.

"What? You said that we would have 'fun'," Aeyrin smirked at Bishop in response. Though it was not as if she hadn't expected this change of tune the second they got close to the city.

"Yeah. We will. But it's still Solitude. I have a right to complain about that."

Aeyrin giggled at that, but her thoughts soon wandered elsewhere again. All through their stay in the wilderness, there was no word from Master Therien regarding that strange note from Jora. Some time ago, Aeyrin would just assume that it was because the courier could not find them out there, but she had disposed of those theories long ago. Maybe she was being too impatient, but it was making her uncomfortable to be going into Solitude without the information. Was this man a threat? Did he somehow know about their endeavors with the priests? That would just mean that she was stepping into a den of mountain lions.

"Princess," Bishop interrupted her pondering when he noticed her expression. It wasn't hard to guess what was on her mind. He knew how anxious she was about this. He was pretty anxious himself, but for different reasons. He was convinced that the name on that note did not refer to an imminent enemy, but a target. For what, was anyone's guess. But if it was what he suspected, he was convinced that it would just attract the Brotherhood's attention again, among other things. He really hoped that he was wrong about his hunch.

"If it was that dangerous to even get near the man, the note would say more," he said reassuringly. He had told her that a lot before and, while it was helping, it still couldn't erase all her anxieties.

Aeyrin gave Bishop a determined nod. There was no point in dwelling on this. Hopefully the anticipated letter would arrive soon and, in the meantime, they could at least try to enjoy the city, away from serial killers and Stormcloaks.

They continued together towards the gates while Karnwyr traipsed along rather morosely. He was not very content with their latest sleeping arrangements with the traps all around. He could not get out to run around unless they were traveling. And now he would be cooped up in the city for Gods-knew-how-long. But apparently, he was still determined to go through that to stay with the two of them. He was free to run off and spend his time alone for a while after all.

They reached the gates soon, but before they could enter the city proper, a familiar scene greeted them.

"Halt!" one of the guards quickly stepped in their way.