Clark Kent: Part 6

"I believe you."

Clark remarked with one eyebrow slightly raised. Hyperbole about hyperbole was hard not to make a joke about, but the Kryptonian managed to keep it down, content with a still mirthful look in his blue eyes. "Me neither." In his case, it was mostly true - if anything, he had a tendency to downplay things about himself. He'd never been a fan of praise, almost feeling like it undermined what he was trying to do by making it about him, when that was never the case. The Kryptonian had rarely done anything purely for himself in his entire life.

At her sudden concern over his wellbeing, Clark waved his hand to the side. Not quite dismissively, but certainly to try to draw attention away from himself. "I'm fine, I promise. It's already letting up. Just came on real fast, you know?" Some grain of truth would probably help make that sound a little less concerning.

Gesturing to the restaurant, full of movement and noise, he shrugged. "Still getting used to all the noise. Smallville was always quiet, but don't worry. I'll adjust. I'll take that aspirin, though." It was just for show - the little pills couldn't really hope to make a difference on his alien physiology for much the same reason beer or other basic medication couldn't.

The Kryptonian considered her for a moment at her response, as if trying to read something from her eyes. In reality, Clark was listening - listening for any sign of disingenuousness in her words, any indication that she wasn't on the level. Maybe it was some last-ditch effort to distract himself from who she was. That if it turned out Lois was really some cutthroat reporter in it for the fame, her being out of his reach wouldn't be so bad. Her heartbeat was steady - as strong as her conviction

-

His shoulders relaxed, as though Clark was physically resigning himself to the fact that she was... well, who she was. Smart and driven, willful, yet still compassionate. That was all just at a glance, too! "Yeah, well, you don't have to be singing like the seven dwarves to be doing good work. I'm not going in blind, I've seen some of your stuff!" Clark chuckled a little, a warm, genuine sound. "Maybe you didn't save the world in well fell article, but it's hard to imagine you haven't touched a life or two. That means something, right? It does to me, anyway."

Lois's heartbeat dropped a little at the topic of soulmates. He hadn't wanted to just brush past her comment like it never happened - ignoring someone in a conversation just wasn't something Clark was capable of. Fortunately, she didn't have anything to say the second time. Unfortunately, that sort of sadness made Clark feel more like a jerk than ever. After all, it would be so easy to reassure her. To tell her that, no, she wasn't alone - that her other half wasn't just out there searching blindly the way she must have.

For his own sake, Clark had to bury that topic. Pushing it aside, deep, deep down, he focused back in on the conversation, doing his best to ignore the guilt that hung in his throat. "Oh, c'mon, you don't know that. Maybe he's just shy," Clark shrugged. Talking about himself like a whole other person was still something he'd have to get used to, but it was a simple fact of his life. It bothered Clark more than a little how easy it had become with time, though - how natural lying felt.

Clark tapped the table again, once more in thought. It may not have been soon, it may have been tomorrow, but he came to a decision - when he did reveal himself, when he did inevitable get thrust truly into the public eye, the person he wanted to talk to was sitting right across the table from him.

-

Maybe there was some element of playing favorites there, but he didn't think so. No, it was that steadfast integrity. As inconvenient a trait it was for him if he wanted to not get too attached, it did mean he could count on her to tell an honest story. One that, whether positive or negative, would at least be true.

"I doubt that'll happen," His more meek tone returned at that, as if the thought of being frontage news made him actively uncomfortable (because it did). Some of his confidence returned shortly, though. "I'm the less interesting half of this conversation, after all." motioning to Lois, he continued. "Really, if anyone should be writing this all down, it's me. Still, I'm glad to have an outside-reporting moment with you, Miss Lane."

Perry threatening to fire her earned a sort of confused frown. The man did seem to be full of hot air - the first he'd heard the man shout while waiting outside for his interview, the noise was so loud it almost hurt. That didn't really make Clark like it. "Let's stick with up. A Planet that fires reporters for telling the truth isn't one I want to work at." Clark wasn't as familiar with Perry as she was, so his threats were a bit less hard to be dismissed.

Clark smiled earnestly at the offer to show him around Metropolis and her explanation of what she enjoyed about it. He sat there in mock contemplation this time, as though heavily considering the offer for help. It was true, he tended to think through what he said before speaking, but that one was a bit of a no-brainer. "Okay, sure. A list of things you think are imperative to the Metropolis experience." More seriously, Clark continued. "Yeah, it can be. I may love it here, but I'll always miss Smallville. I think two places can be home, though, and that's what I'm hoping for here."

-

In contrast with her, Clark did believe in callings. He believed he was called to protect and serve the people of Earth by nature of his powers. That he had a duty to those in need by the privilege of the abilities granted to him. In his opinion, quiet and unvoiced though it was, she had a gift too - and a calling that came with it. One that she seemed to be answering in earnest. He admired that. "That was a great answer." The reporter leaned back in his seat, having finished his food. "I couldn't agree more. Finding that meaning is... well, it's maybe the most important thing someone can do with their life. I'm really glad you've found that for yourself." Another smile. Clark realized he'd been smiling a lot, doing his best to fade the expression away for fear of looking like a dork - though a dork he definitely was. Glancing around the restaurant, he put the little bit of cash he had out. "Rookie pays, right? It was great. Thanks for the recommendation."

 As before, Clark found himself just... at ease. In a way he hadn't ever really been with anyone else. He supposed that was because they were supposed to be each others' people. That they were, in a way, meant for each other. At that point, it was almost an intrusive thought - popping up and refusing to leave him alone, just when he thought he'd managed to push it aside. The Kryptonian stood up to get ready to go back to the office, eyes scanning her face, jaw tensed slightly. "Lois?"

He paused, hesitating. Could he maybe lie about having been there? Was there some other way he could tell the woman what they were without revealing himself? Maybe not all was lost. The dreamer's mind almost took over before he managed to push those thoughts back down. For someone who spent several moments in visible, serious thought, the question he asked was perhaps a bit... underwhelming. "Do you have an extra pen? I think I lost mine."