CHAPTER 1: Working upwards.

As she opened her eyes, the cracks in the leaves let the sun into the room, a warm yellow against dark green leaves. CicadaKit's eyes glistened for a small moment at the beautiful surroundings. She stretched and pushed herself upwards, but when she took a step, she tripped over her mother's tail. She heard a giggle from behind her as her mother woke up with a tired expression.

"Oh CicadaKit... What are you doing now?" she laughed.

"I'm going to go play with my friends!" her face lifted into a warm smile.

Her mother giggled. "Alright, go play with your friends. Just... spend a little less time with that LunaKit of yours." she sighed.

CicadaKit raced outside towards LunaKit, despite what her mother said. LunaKit was a fluffy tan, much fluffier than all the other kits, with a splotch of dark brown on her face. She looks toward CicadaKit with something in her mouth.

"Hey LunaKit? What's that in your mouth?" CicadaKit asked.

"My momma said it's a mothwing! Mum said it was a sign of good luck! I think it looks fluffy." she said with a muffled tone of happiness.

"Ooh! can I see it?" CicadaKit 

LunaKit handed it to CicadaKit. The moth wing felt soft on her paw pad. Something about it felt... special. CicadaKit put the moth wing on LunaKit's ear.

"There!" CicadaKit said enthusiastically. "Now you can have good luck wherever you go!" She gave a warm smile to LunaKit.

LunaWing looked up at it, holding it close to her head. "I love it!" her smile being warm and full of laughter as she spoke. CicadaKit turned her head to see her mother coming over.

"CicadaKit, I told you to spend time with your other... friends." She gestured her hands in strange ways which CicadaKit couldn't understand.

"But mom-" she said as she was dragged away from LunaKit. LunaKit, even from far away, seemed happy at the moth wing, which was enough for CicadaKit.

"You have so many other friends, Cicada. Why do you hang out with her?" ColdHeart said to CicadaKit with a both disgusted and surprised expression.

"Mom, LunaKit is so nice though! She told me moth wings were a sign of luck-" cicada was interrupted.

"-And something disrespectful. You don't wear what you catch, darling." ColdHeart and CicadaKit walked throughout the camp. Clouds had covered the sun, so it wasn't as warm and fuzzy. That didn't matter to CicadaKit though. Cicada kit tried to copy her mother and walk with her head raised high, stumbling a few times as she was still a little short. She knew her mother wanted her to become the best warrior she could, so she would follow those directions.