Chapter 2: Absorbed by a book

Lucky's POV

Bigla akong nagising at napaupo mula sa pagkakahiga dahil may narinig akong ingay na nagmumula sa kwarto ni Grandpa.

I stood up and hurried to Grandpa's room. When I opened the door to
Grandpa's room and was able to enter, my eyes widened as I saw Grandpa lying down and holding his chest. I immediately helped him stand up so I could see his pale lips, as if he was weakening.

"Grandpa, what happened?" Instead of responding to my question, he pointed his chest, and I knew right away what was wrong with him: he was having a heart attack! For pete's sake!

I'm not sure how I did it, but I actually lifted him and carried him out of his room to take him to the hospital, pababa pa lang ako ng hagdanan nang maalala kong pinagbakasyon ni grandpa ang mga kasambahay pati mga driver at kung ako ang magda-drive, baka mapadali lang ang buhay ni grandpa.

"Bwisit!" Zaphael was right outside when we were. He noticed me and immediately approached us.

"Lucky? What happened to your grandfather?" His question stunned me. Duh! Isn't it obvious?

"Isn't it obvious? Of course, my Grandpa is having a heart attack, can't you see?" His eyes widened and he dashed to their garage, possibly to get his car. Seriously? He didn't even notice? That man! He makes my head heat up!

Nang makuha niya ang sasakyan, mabilis niya akong tinulungan na ilagay si grandpa sa upuan sa likuran, at doon ako umupo. Pagkaupo ko ay pumasok na si Zaphael sa driver's seat at nagsimulang magmaneho habang hawak ko ng mahigpit ang kamay ni grandpa. Grandpa had lost consciousness, so I was even more nervous.

"Shit! Please hurry up, Zaphael! Grandpa has passed out!" I yelled at him, and he drove faster.

Please, Grandpa, don't leave me. I'm not ready yet! You are all I have, and I don't want to lose you, so please hold on, grandpa!

When we got to the hospital Zaphael carried grandpa inside, the nurses saw him and assisted him.

"Mister, Miss, you can't go inside the E.R, So far. We'll take care of your Grandfather." A male nurse stopped us from entering the emergency room

"We understand, but may I enter? I'm a medical student." Napatingin ako kay Zaphael nang sabihin niya 'yon.

"Yes, you may enter, but only you." Because of what the nurse said, Zaphael looked at me with sadness, and I nodded.
He hugged me and I was surprised; I don't know why but the feeling I was having before, vanished like a bubble, as if because of his hug, I'm sure everything will be fine as well.

"I'll look after him. Don't worry, he'll be safe." I hugged him back so hard.

"Thank you." After we hugged, I smiled at him and was surprised to see him stunned.

When Zaphael got inside the E.R, Naghintay ako saglit pero dahil hindi ako mapakali minabuti kong pumunta muna sa Restroom.

"Lucky,"

"You always take care of yourself." My eyes widened as I looked around the restroom, wondering why I was hearing Grandpa's voice in my head even though he was no longer here in comfort room. Why do I hear his voice in my mind? What's happening?

"Grandpa? Is that you?" I asked in my mind, I was even more surprised when Grandpa responded in my mind.

"It's me and this is the right time for you to face your destiny." That was the last thing Grandpa said to me. Is that true? What caused this to happen? Am I going to insane? Maybe I was hallucinating because I was so worried about Grandpa. Kaya naman nag madali akong lumabas sa comfort room.

When I returned to E.R., Zaphael and the Doctor came out just in time.

"Kumusta po ang Grandpa ko?" Tanong ko nang makalapit na ako sa kanila.

"Your Grandfather is in critical condition and requires surgery as soon as possible." Naalala ko ang matinding pagtanggi ni grandpa na magpaopera pero dahil ayaw kong mawala siya ay tumango ako.

"Do everything you can to save my Grandfather." Hinawakan ni Zaphael ang kamay ko kaya napatingin ako sa kanya.

"We'll do everything to save your Grandfather, and the operation will begin immediately." After that, agad ding umalis ang doctor.

"Can I come in now?" Zaphael opened the door for me. Parang nanghina ang tuhod ko nang makita ko si grandpa na nakahiga sa kama at walang malay. Grandpa! don't take my grandpa now, god! Please I can't.

"Be strong, Lucky. Malalagpasan mo rin ito." I'm grateful to him, and there's a chance Zaphael and I won't fight, and the idiot looks so kind to me right now! Hindi naiinis sa akin, siguro dahil sa nangyari kay grandpa.

"Thank you very much, Zaphael." He just nodded and then said goodbye at lumabas na, lumapit ako kay grandpa at hinawakan ang kamay niya.

"Don't be like this, Grandpa! Have mercy on me, don't leave me Grandpa, even if I am stubborn to you at times, I love you so much kaya please 'wag mo 'kong iwan. Ikaw lang ang meron ako at hindi ko alam ang gagawin ko kapag nawala ka." I whispered even though I knew my grandfather wouldn't respond, my grandpa squeezing my palm while holding his hand made me cringe.

"L-lucky, t-the b-book?" Is Grandpa awake? But why is he looking for the book in the first place? Is that important?

"Grandpa, don't talk." I would stop him from talking, but he would say the words over and over again. Nataranta ako sa biglaang panginginig ni grandpa kaya agad akong tumawag ng mga nurse at doctor.

"G-grandpa..." When I said that, Zaphael hugged me. Kasalukuyan akong nasa labas dahil pinalabas ako ng mga nurse, sila na ang bahala kay grandpa, baka magsisimula na rin sila ng operasyon.

Please fight Grandpa!

We were separated as Zaphael and I hugged because the lights went out and the hospital went quiet. Humakbang ako patungo sa maliit na ilaw na nakita ko, napakunot ang noo ko nang makita kong kumikinang ang librong bigay sa akin ni Grandpa.

What is that book doing here? And why is it glowing?

"Lucky!" As the light on the book suddenly increased, Zaphael yelled, and I was surprised when it suddenly seemed to suck me in.

"Zaphael, there's something strange in the book." Parang wala ko lang na turan, naramdaman ko si Zaphael sa likod ko.

"Tama ka kahit ako, I also feel like I'm being sucked in." My eyes widened as I noticed the powerful force sucking us in.

"Fuck it! What are we going to do, Zaphael?" It was too late to leave because we were absorbed by the book in an instant.

"Ahhh!" Zaphael and I shouted together because we were spinning around and it was so dizzy at the same time we had lost consciousness.

To be continued...