Chapter 12: Alanza Alves

At breakfast on Sunday morning, Artemis received a message from Professor Sprout: the foreign exchange student - her new charge - would be arriving that afternoon.

"Oh, but I'm sure it will be okay," said Penny, over the top of the Potions notes she was going over with Tonks as they ate their toast. "You never know, she might be really lovely!"

Artemis pursed her lips. She didn't really care how lovely the new girl was, she still didn't want to be the one to have to look after her. Still, she made her way to the entrance hall at the time Professor Sprout had requested, and found her head of house standing beside a girl in green robes.

"Ah, Artemis," Sprout smiled and waved her over. "I was hoping that you would arrive soon. This is Alanza Alves, our new visitor from Castelobruxo."

Alanza Alves was pretty - very pretty - with an olive complexion and brown eyes. Her hair was not quite as dark as Artemis', though it was much neater, and her smile was broad and friendly. Artemis did not return it.

"Alanza, this is Artemis Hexley. She's a sixth year, like yourself, and she's one of the prefects. She very kindly has volunteered to help you to settle in."

Artemis frowned. She hadn't volunteered at all. Alanza Alves, however, seemed not to notice her unfriendly expression - or had maybe chosen to ignore it - for her smile widened even further, and she promptly placed her hands on Artemis' shoulders and kissed her on both cheeks.

"It is so nice to meet you, Artemis, and very kind for you to want to help me," she said, her voice bright in spite of Artemis' obvious discomfort. "I am so looking forward to getting to know you."

Artemis couldn't say that she honestly felt the way, but was obliged to nod her head. "Yeah, sure."

"I think it would be worth showing Alanza around the castle before dinner, so she knows where to go for her lessons," said Professor Sprout. "As well as showing her the library, the Common Room, the Great Hall..."

"That's probably a good idea," Artemis agreed, and Sprout gave her a pointed look. "Oh, you want me to do it."

"Yes, Artemis, that was the plan. I will make sure that your trunk and uniform gets to your dormitory safely, Alanza. You girls have fun."

"Thank you, Professor Sprout," Alanza beamed at Sprout as she walked away, before turning to Artemis expectantly. "Okay, so where do we go to first?"

"Depends. What do you want to see?"

"Everything! It is a beautiful castle, I would like very much to see it all, if you could show me."

"Uh, right," Artemis took a step away from Alanza, who was standing far too close to her for her liking. "Well, what subjects will you be taking? I can show you those, if you like?"

Alanza nodded ecstatically. "Herbology, Astronomy, Charms, Defence, and Creatures."

That gave Artemis five places to show her, at least. She led Alanza through the castle and out towards the grounds, pointing out various places and things that might interest the foreign exchange student, but otherwise staying fairly quiet. Alanza did not seem to mind Artemis' taciturn nature. She had enough enthusiasm and spoke enough to make up for the both of them, loudly admiring everything that Artemis showed her and telling her all about the similarities and differences between Hogwarts and Castelobruxo.

"You have so many towers," Alanza sighed, looking up at the rooftops of the castle from the greenhouses. "We do not have nearly so many where I am coming from. Our school is tall but very square, and it shines like gold in the sunshine, which is very beautiful. It has a forest around it, like yours." Alanza gazed wistfully in the direction of the Forbidden Forest. "Perhaps we can go to the forest next."