Chapter 20: The Sunken Vault

Mr Maestro was as good as his word. On the final day of the month, after the summer term had already started and Bill had set off to Uganda on his expedition with Gringotts, Artemis received a heavy parcel in the morning post.

"Early birthday present?" asked Tonks.

"In a way," Artemis replied, able to feel the frame of the lyre through the packaging. "We need to have a meeting with the rest of the Circle of Khanna. Penny, do you reckon you could let everyone know to meet at lunchtime?"

When it came to spreading news, no one was better than Penny Haywood. By lunchtime, the whole of the Circle of Khanna knew to meet at the lakeshore.

"We've got the lyre fixed," Artemis told them. "We can go to the final Vault now. Not right now, Barnaby," she added, and Barnaby stopped removing his shoes. "I mean later."

"Later today?"

"Yeah, we could," Artemis nodded, gnawing at her lower lip as she looked across the lake, in the direction of Hogsmeade station. "So, I know Bill isn't going to be able to come with us, but I've spoken to my brother and he's offered to help. He's worried about how safe this is going to be, especially with so many of us going. He wanted it to be just him and me, but-"

"Typical," muttered Merula, glaring at Artemis.

"I'm sorry?"

"I said that this is just typical," Merula repeated. "You get all of us involved and then go ditch us to do your own thing as soon as your brother is involved."

"Actually, that wasn't what I was going to suggest at all," said Artemis. "I actually told Jacob that you should come to the Vault, Merula. Rakepick trained you up just as much as she did me."

Merula's violet eyes widened. "You did?"

"Yeah."

"Oh. Right. Yeah. Thanks."

"You're welcome. I mean, I did want all of you to come, but Jacob said that we shouldn't draw too much attention to ourselves, and he's got a point."

"In case Rakepick is still about?"

"Well, yeah, but it's not just her. The dementors are still around, the Aurors are looking for him as well as Rakepick, and Dumbledore has told us to leave the Vaults alone. Now that term's started again, it's going to look suspicious, all of us diving into the lake, especially with my brother as well."

"So, what are you suggesting?"

"Some of us need to stay behind to either distract the teachers or keep watch."

"Tonks and I can set up some distractions," said Tulip, smirking to herself. "I've already got a couple of ideas."

"Anything I can help with?" Jae asked.

"Almost certainly."

"Well, that's that settled," Artemis nodded. "Anyone else got a preference?"

"I don't mind keeping watch," offered Badeea. "There's an excellent view of the lakeshore from Ravenclaw tower. Andre, Talbott, you could stay with me?"

"I'll keep watch, but I'd rather do it from the air," Talbott said quietly. "Alone."

"Me, Liz, Ismelda, Charlie, and Alanza can stay behind to deal with the Grindylows," said Barnaby. "And if there's any trouble with any baddies or anything, Diego and I can fight them, too."

"That's... um... great, Barnaby. Thanks."

"Chiara and I will stay behind at the Hospital Wing in case anyone gets hurt and needs healing," Penny suggested, looking at Barnaby out of the corner of her eyes. "I'm rather good at Wiggenweld potions, if I do say so myself."