Chapter 15: The Creature in the Moonlight

Artemis had thought that she had no tears left to cry after leaving the mysterious mirror in the Come-and-Go Room, but when she returned to the dormitory and saw Penny and Tonks, a fresh wave of emotion took her. The three girls collapsed on Penny's bed hugging and crying, stopping only when they were interrupted by a bemused looking Alanza as she returned from the bathroom.

That night, in a state halfway between waking and sleeping, the noises of the others already deep in sleep filling the dormitory, Artemis had a realisation. Charlie had been right; Rowan wouldn't have wanted her to stop her life just because she was not there to enjoy hers. She had to do what Rowan would have wanted: study hard, read books, and be kind and loyal to her friends. Including Alanza.

And so, in the morning, it was Artemis who suggested that they all go to Hogsmeade together that weekend, a motion that was met with resounding support. But as they got dressed ready for breakfast, there was a knock at the door.

"I'm really sorry," said Chiara, lingering in the doorway, her face even paler than usual. "Madam Pomfrey sent me. It's nothing too serious, so don't worry, Penny, but Beatrice has got an injury and she asked for you to be there while Madam Pomfrey attends to it."

Penny nodded her head without outwardly panicking, but Artemis could see the way her blue eyes widened fractionally and filled with poorly concealed fear. Chiara was also hiding something, she was sure of it, though it was difficult to know what exactly, because she looked so tired.

"Do you want me to come with you, Penny?" Artemis offered, seeing Penny's hand shake as she reached for her wand on her bedside table.

"Oh, I don't want to inconvenience you."

"You won't. I don't mind. Besides, it saves you having to walk to Hogsmeade by yourself."

With a grateful smile, Penny agreed, and she and Artemis followed Chiara up to the Hospital Wing, where they found Beatrice sitting on a wooden chair, the deep cuts on her legs being cleaned and examined by Madam Pomfrey.

"Bea!" Penny rushed to her sister's side and wrapped her arms around her. "What happened? How did you get those cuts on your legs?"

Beatrice swallowed and looked at Madam Pomfrey nervously before replying. "I went down to the lake early this morning, while it was still dark."

"What? Why on earth would you do that?"

"Because," Bea looked across at Artemis, "I had one of my bad dreams again, where I was in the portrait, and the lake... When I woke up I had this feeling, like the lake was calling to me or something, I don't know."

"I think it's high time you started taking your dreamless sleep potions again, Miss Haywood," Madam Pomfrey told her, her voice sharp. "You haven't been back here since the Christmas break."

"That's only because I haven't needed the potions since Christmas," said Beatrice. "Ever since the holidays I haven't had any dreams at all, not until the spring weather came. When everything was still cold and snowy I was okay."

"In any case, I shall be prescribing some more. Ah, Professor Kettleburn. Thank you for coming so quickly."

"You're welcome, Pomona. I like your new apron, by the way," said Professor Kettleburn, and Madam Pomfrey raised one eyebrow at him. "Now, you wanted me to examine some wounds?"

"Indeed," Madam Pomfrey indicated to Beatrice's legs. "I would be suspicious of an attack by some sort of creature, though what sort, I am not sure... I thought that would be your area of expertise."

"You flatter me. Where did the attack take place?"

"By the lakeshore."

"And you, girl," Kettleburn addressed Beatrice directly, "you don't remember seeing the creature who attacked you?"