Chapter 9

~~~One week later~~~

Kai sat on his bed early in the morning as Zane and Lloyd checked on his wing. Zane had opted to keep Cole asleep, so he wasn't there.

Kai's excuse for being in his room all week, was a migraine. And he had no idea how that excuse worked for as long as it did, but it had. Even though it wasn't a sickness that everyone had to be worried about catching. And anyone could have barged in to see his wings in their lack of glory.

The fire on his left wing had come back significantly. It wasn't fully ablaze yet, but he was no longer worried about his wings not having fire when they broke. But the fire being gone, had allowed the bandages to do their jobs and hold the wings still.

Zane reached for the bandages to take them off. He carefully unwrapped the wing from Kai's body. Kai hissed in discomfort. His wing had been still for so long, that it was stiff and sore to move.

Zane scanned the wings, then looked at Kai. "The fracture in the right wing is fully healed. The left is still slightly broken, but should be just fine with another cup of tea. So we'll give that to you at dinner. But they should be just fine going away for now."

Kai nodded and started to stretch his wings outwards. "Sounds good to me. But I'm gonna just move my wings so that they aren't so sore."

Lloyd reached for the left wing, careful of the fire. "Let me help." The green ninja felt bad, blaming himself for Kai's broken wing. So he thought he had to help where he could. Kai let him to allow Lloyd to feel better about it.

Kai flexed his wing and let it go to it's full length. Zane sat on the bed as Lloyd gently pulled the wing out bit by bit. Kai would signal for him to stop when it felt strained, then they brought it out slightly more, until they were fully extended.

"Are you ready to try putting them away?" Zane asked. They had put the right one away multiple times, but never the left one. Kai nodded and started to put the wing away.

They carefully brought the wing back in, and Kai tucked both of them away successfully. "Thank you both for helping me. This could've gone a lot worse if I had nobody to help me."

"It could have! I'm so sorry I put you in that position!" Lloyd cried out.

Zane hushed him as Kai chuckled. "It's okay short spud. I'm not mad."

"But I still shouldn't have insisted so much. You said no, and I didn't want to listen." Lloyd frowned.

Kai smiled. "You're okay. You were just caught in the moment."

"I still feel like I should do something to apologize."

"You can do that, by if you stop feeling bad. And if you keep my secret. There. Done." Kai said.

Lloyd sighed. "Fine. If you say so."

Zane stood next to Lloyd and spoke. "We should go to our rooms before the others wake up."

As Kai lay down, back resting on the bed for the first time in a week, the door opened and closed while Lloyd and Zane left.

He was supposed to go out and see the others a bit after they were all up, so Kai saw it as a way to get some extra sleep, while comfortable on his back.