Chapter one - Beyond The Night

Ronan Flynn's family was dead, murdered in cold blood. He never understood why. The case went cold over a year ago.

It was currently an hour before midnight. The night air in London was cold and the rain started to get heavier. Ronan Flynn kept his collar up while keeping his hands deep inside his pockets. He tells himself he needs to get a better coat. But he could never replace the long black coat his wife had gotten him.

He walks into a place called Smith's Bar. Unlike outside, the air was dreadfully thick and the building was too crowded. Music was playing loudly in the background, the obnoxious beat playing through the speakers. The boisterous chatting was doing nothing to his numb thoughts. Ronan shuffled through the crowd while every noise was muffled and faded out by the conversation that echoed in his mind like a freight train sounding through the night.

Ronan plopped down onto the stool, the same one he always sits in as he slumped over the bar counter waiting for the bartender. He just needed something to drown the pain. Something strong. It never works but it eases the pain for the rest of the night.

"The usual detective?"

Ronan looked up a saw the regular British, tall dark-haired man with his shirt sleeves rolled up revealing his black ink tattoos. He was currently cleaning a glass as he stared down at the Irish detective, sadness in his eyes.

"Yes please Sam, make it a double"

The bartender gave a slight nod as he replaced the glass he was holding with a smaller one and poured the man a double whiskey, before sliding it over.

Ronan placed the cash on the bar counter when the glass slid in front of him. He clenched his jaw as he grabbed the glass, the bitter memories of his children laughing embedded in his brain. He threw back the whiskey, the sting of alcohol sliding down his throat as he gulped it down, thinking of how his whole world had turned upside down in the blink of an eye.

"Wanna talk about it? Lots of people like talking to the bartender. Bringer of sour taste and bad decisions"

Sam and Ronan have gotten used to each other's company, he's been coming to this place for years, way before the... incident. He does appreciate the attempt, however, he prefers to keep his problems bottled up, even if his bottle is about to break at any moment.

"I'm fine Sam, don't worry about me, you've got your own family to care for. Just be a good lad and pour me another glass"

The bartender sighed. He knew Ronan was lying. His mind is broken and he could snap at any second.

Ronan's family were the people he always aimed to protect. His beautiful wife Amy, her brown hair, the colour of cocoa, and her eyes as green as a forest. His eldest daughter Robin and his amazing boy Ethan, he would do anything to see them again. Amy was a journalist, she was great at her job and people loved her work. Robin was in school, wanting to become a detective, just like her old man.

Ronan will never forget how proud he was of her when she came home, bragging about how she received the highest score out of her whole class. Ethan was just a lad, a five-year-old boy with his whole life ahead of him. Who would take that away?

Ronan downed another glass of whiskey. Then another. And a few more. The memories would not leave. Slowly drowning out the mixture of rage and sadness inside of him until he dared to stand on his own two feet.

"Need a lift home, Ronan?"

The bartender sounded concerned, but Ronan just shook his head. "N-No thanks Sam, Imma fine". His accent was slurred and his eyes were glossy. Taking a deep breath, he dragged himself off the stool. Even with the buzz that took over him, the sting in his heart was still there.