Chapter Two - Dr Sarah Thompson

---

"Again, Again!"

Ronan laughed as he placed his controller on the table. This is the seventh time he's been beaten by his daughter.

"I would honestly love to Robin, but I've got to go to work".

The eleven-year-old sat there in defeat and pouted. Ronan smiled as he turned to her. He loved this kid, reminded him of Amy. The pair were like two peas in a pod.

"Okay... How about this? After work, I will buy us both a load of sweets and play when I get back?"

Robin sat there for a moment, debating whether or not the offer was worth it, her green eyes staring off into the abyss.

"Add ice cream to it and we have a deal".

Ronan smiled and put his hand out

"You have a deal kid"

Instead of shaking his hand, however, Robin went in for a hug. Ronan thought his ribs were going to break, but hugged her back anyway.

"Thanks, Dad, I can't wait!"

"You better not be promising more sweets, Mister!"

Ronan froze, realising he was busted by his wife who was standing right behind them.

"What!? No way. Robin your Mother is hearing things".

The little girl giggled and Ronan put on his long black coat. His wife jokingly put her hands on her hips, looking displeased. Ronan took this opportunity to bring her into a hug, pick her up, and span her around the room. The sound of her laughter made Ronan's heart melt. He's so goddam lucky. He placed her down, allowing her to fix his collar.

"You better keep that coat clean Mister"

Ronan laughed and picked grabbed his bag, making sure everything was in there.

"Alright I got to go, Ethan you're the man of the house, so you're in charge".

The six-year-old just giggled and went back to colouring. Ronan kissed his kids on the forehead and his wife before grabbing his keys and heading to the door. He took a look back at his family, taking in this moment as he opened the door and stepped out into the cold air.

That was the last time he saw them alive

----

Ronan shot up, his eyes wide and his heart beating like crazy. He put his head in his hands as he caught his breath. He groaned in pain as his head pounded. It felt like drums were playing in his brain, you'd think he'd be used to hangovers by now.

"How are you feeling?"

Ronan opened his eyes to see Finn sitting in front of him. He had bags under his eyes, no doubt stayed up worrying about his older brother. Ronan felt guilty, he wished Finn never had to see him like this. He was holding a mug, also seeing one on the desk next to him, the smell of coffee hitting his nose.

"I'm good Finn, no need to worry about me"

The disappointment on Finn's face was more than enough to crush him. He knows he wants to help, but he'd rather have him be happy, he has a fiancé of his own and they want to start a family. Ronan would give up everything he has to have that back. Ignoring Finn's expression, he pulled himself to the edge of the bed and grabbed the freshly made coffee from his desk.

"Are we going to talk about what happened yesterday?"

"No Finn, I'd rather not".

He took a sip from the hot beverage and made his way over to his work, reading over everything for the one-hundredth time. He knows what's about to happen next. Finn's going to try and make him open up, talk about his feelings, the drinking, pouring himself into his work, and how it's unhealthy to be trapped in this small apartment. It's not the first time they have had this conversation and he doubts it will be the last.