love language

For someone so tough, her touch is so gentle, I thought as I basked in the comfort of her warm embrace.

It was close to midnight. We were sitting in the living room while Anya was asleep in her bedroom. As it was a Friday, Yuri was supposed to stay with us for a night but was suddenly called for emergency work. I excused myself as well after Yuri left, intending to check on my team if they were by chance involved with the secret police. Thankfully, I only got an earful from Franky and Sylvia, who for some reason both have dates this evening. This made me reflect on my recent interactions with Yor, and I remembered the last date we had was more than a month ago.

"Yor-san," I called out earlier, making an appearance in the living room where she was about to take away the food we prepared. "It's been a while since it's just the two of us. Let's have a date instead, shall we?"

Yor gave a start, almost dropping the wine bottle she was holding. "Well, we didn't have anything planned to do for the rest of the night anyway," she smiled, trying to hide her blush.

"That's great!" I beamed. I walked over to where she was and gently uncorked the bottle from her hands. I must admit this was another small act of intimacy I sometimes do as my role of being a loving husband, but the strength she reliably displayed always made me admire her. I gestured for her to sit as I began pouring the drink to the wine glasses on the coffee table. Sitting myself next to her, I raised my drink and she did the same, the small clink of our glasses sounding against the television we left on.

"Let's have a drinking game!" Yor proposed brightly. "I-I mean, if that's alright with you."

I discerned this proposition for a while. I never allowed myself to be drunk; I habitually only take miniscule sips just to make it seem like I'm drinking with everybody else. No one notices this as I end up being the only one sober enough who can take care of their drunken selves. And recently I've only been drinking with the Briar siblings who at this point can be considered as alcoholics.

I looked at the person in front of me. She averted her timid but eager eyes and rested her hands on her usual red sweater. Her innocence never failed to enthrall me, and this demeanor of hers convinced me to trust her even just this one time. I gave out a resigned smile, "why not?"

"The classic never have I ever?" I nodded at her suggestion. "Okay, I'll start. Never have I ever cried over someone."

We both just stared at each other without taking a sip of our drink then busted out laughing. "This feels more competitive when it's just two people. First one to get drunk loses." Memories of me crying in the warfield and a destroyed town when certain people didn't come back made their way to my mind. I took a swig of my glass.

Yor seemed pleasantly surprised about this. "Hmm, this is about a girl, huh?"

I chuckled without humor. "Not really, it's over friends and family. But it's all long ago." She nodded at what I said. She also lost important people in her life but unlike me, she has her brother whom she had to appear strong for.

"My turn. Never have I ever stood someone up on a date."

She shook her head. "I've never gone on a date before."

I was shocked with that information. "I knew you were hard-working since you were young, but no one has asked you out before?" With those good looks?

"Oh, well, maybe I accidentally shoot them death glares when they get too suspicious for me," Yor commented sheepishly. "Then they get too scared to ask me out."

"Huh." Thank god I didn't strike her as creepy when we met. "As for me, I do show up, but only to reject them on that date."

Yor laughed at this. "Woah, Loid-san really is cool. Such a wonder why you chose me when you can easily find a real wife and mother for Anya."

"Nonsense. Forming this agreement with you was the best decision I made." I tried to pay no mind to her shining eyes. "And I'd love it if you can just call me Loid. I think we've gone through enough as a family for us to still call each other with honorifics."

"Oh, you're right. Just also call me Yor." Smiling, I nodded and thanked her.

We continued for a few more rounds of the game, until it came to more revelations of my past. I attempted to bring them up casually each time, but Yor seemed to sense the emotional turmoil I struggled to bury within my subconscious. Despite being tipsy, I made sure not to divulge the technical parts of the war and being a spy.

Yor suddenly stood up and held my face to her chest. The action made me warm inside and for a while I just sat there stiffly as I didn't know what to do. But Yor started to pat my head, and I just melted in her arms. Without a thought, my body just sank into her soft one, and I once again am reminded of how strong she was to carry my weight all of a sudden.

Even more, all my years as a spy I was taught to be alone and to rely on no one else. I had relationships here and there for the sake of my missions, but I never put my walls down for another person. I found no one to trust, no one worth being vulnerable to. But this person, who made me stop and stare at her on our first encounter, just has so much warmth and kindness emanating out of her that it was impossible to doubt her. Even at the start, I let myself lower my guard down because of you.

"I can't help but be open to you, Yor." I held out my hands behind her but decided to let them rest on the small of her back. "You're the first person I said this to, but a huge part of me just wants to trust you with all my being. I've also mentioned this a lot but Yuri is really lucky to have you as his sister."

"Nothing else in the world is able to sooth me more than your words, Loid." She smiled as she pulled back to gaze at me lovingly, and once again my heart skipped a beat. I tried to suppress the blush forming and just maintained a surprised face. I realized that from years of being the one sustaining her remaining family, she's the one now who needs all the support a person can give—support I can give. Especially with her being the closest family I have aside from Anya.

"Yor," I said with the softest voice I could muster, "I won't ever get tired of reassuring you." With this, her face seemed to redden even more. She started stuttering and I just had to laugh at her cuteness. Her arms still held my shoulders loosely, the proximity of our faces being only inches away. I may have stared at her lips too hard, because she suddenly stopped and looked at my eyes questioningly.

I would have closed the distance in the spur of the moment, but I inconveniently remembered the concept of consent and boundaries. "U-um, would it be alright to kiss you?"

Yor nodded fervently. She quickly tucked a few strands of hair behind her ear, just like when we were about to kiss in front of her brother. She parted her lips while slowly leaning in, making my breath stop shortly. She's the most beautiful woman I had ever set my eyes on, I thought, and she's now about to kiss me. I closed my eyes the moment our lips touched, my bottom lip being enveloped by her softness. Immediately butterflies formed in my stomach. My hands moved to her waist to pull her even closer. Our mouths moved in sync, like they were made for each other and nothing else. Much to my pleasure, she began to caress my hair and pulled them ever so slightly when my tongue entered her mouth and made contact with hers.

When we were done, we let out small gasps as we caught our breath. Her hands remained in my hair and mine on her waist. I tried to sense if Anya was awake, but there was no presence of her.

I would have done more, but I guess that's for another time. I plan to take things slow after all, since we still have a long way to go before completing this mission. And yet I can't help myself when it comes to Yor. As I stood up, I pecked her lips and whispered to her ear. "Let's continue this next time."