pretend family

Loid woke up every morning with a start. His nightmares came frequently now. Detailed flashbacks of his traumatic past and the faces of people whom he lost haunted him whenever he tried to get some good rest. It was illogical—for the past to still have this chokehold on him. His guilt from merely the fact that he was alive while everyone he knew were not, instilled in him the desire to serve others, even if it entailed losing parts of himself as well.

Anya thought she saw her real mother while waiting for the bus. It was just a fragment of her imagination. The feeling that overcame her, though, was reminiscent of the feeling she had when she was drowning in the pool where she saved that kid's life. She can't put back her past; it was a part of her now. The abuse that resulted from the laboratory experiments made her who she was in the present. At a young age, it was etched in her mind that every time she became useful to the people around her, then only then will her existence be worth it.

A call from Yuri jolted Yor, her mind wandering back to their parent's death as she put the telephone down. It has been leaving Yor's mind as to how their parents died. To her, it feels like disrespect, tarnishing their memory like that and letting their legacy be forgotten. That's why everything she ever did was for her remaining family, Yuri, her younger brother. All she knew was to love and care to make up for the loss she and her brother had, even if doing so meant taking others' lives.

But now, a few minutes more and her newfound family will enter the door into their home.

"Anya's home!"

It was rare for Anya and Loid to come home together. Loid opened the door for Anya and she came inside running.

"I got off work early today so I waited for Anya at the bus stop," Loid explained to Yor with a smile as he closed the door. "She seems to be getting taller since she doesn't have a hard time going down the stairs now."

"Is that so?" Yor proudly said, patting Anya's head when she went towards her. "That's because Anya's been nothing but a good girl! Always eating her vegetables and sleeping early."

"But that meant not doing my homework or helping around the house," Anya admitted in protest. "Anya is sorry for not being useful to Mama and Papa."

"Useful?" Loid repeated. "Anya, being useful to you is our job. But still," he added, "make sure you still pass your classes."

"That's true! And that smile of yours is enough to make me and your Papa's work worth it."

Anya beamed at them. "Hehe, what's for dinner?"

"Sorry, that would be my task," Loid said, but he was still on the sofa resting his feet. "I'm really getting old. I'll be preparing it in a while."

Anya sensed her father's tiredness. "Oh. I love Papa's cooking but Papa should teach me so I can just cook for him!"

It was Yor's turn to apologize. "Don't worry! I'll be buying takeouts every once in a while from now on. I'm sorry my skills as a mother are not enough."

"I guess the takeouts sound nice." Loid finally got up and went to the kitchen beside Yor. "But Yor, remember that you are a role model of strength to me and Anya. Mentally and physically. Every day you inspire me to get back on my feet. And you're the rock of this family, always making sure Anya and I don't get too extreme with each other. Right, Anya?"

Anya nodded fervently. "Mama is the best mama! Anya and Papa are really lucky Mama joined our family!"

Their family was an unusual one. But it was full of love and genuine care for each other. They may have secrets to hide but they know that at the end of the day, they have somewhere they could go home to—where they'd be accepted at the very core of their being.

Three words were still left unsaid, but the three of them can hear it in the silence over the months that they've been together. When they would relish in their meals Loid cooked or the pastries Yor attempted to bake. Or when they comfortably enjoyed each other's presence amid the afternoon breeze while walking Bond in the park. And right now, when mother and daughter were gathered around Loid as he taught them how to make dinner.

"I think that's enough mushy stuff." Loid gave each of them a taste test of his cooking, bringing a spoonful of food to their mouths. Both him and Yor blushed when it was her turn, which Anya noticed, delighted.

"I don't have any family left except for Anya. She's all I have, and yet..." Loid pretended to chuckle to hide the pain in his voice; he couldn't wait for the day he'd tell Yor, and maybe even Anya, about his past. "What I'm trying to say here is that laying my eyes on you was the best thing I've ever done. Because that's how you entered me and Anya's life."

Yor's heart broke and rejoiced upon hearing Loid's words. It seemed like he wanted to say more, but she'll wait whenever he's ready to tell them. "Same for me too, well, aside from Yuri. Nevermind that this family was formed under unusual circumstances. We'll have to take care of each other from now on."

Ultimately, they care too much about each other to say that this is still pretend.