summer wedding

I can't believe it, but I finally feel like I'm at a state of peace. My organization, WISE, gave me an overdue vacation as compensation for my long hours of work due to our lack of manpower. So now we found ourselves spending one weekend at the beach, just a couple miles from Berlint.

I turned to my side and found Yor carrying buckets of sand for Anya's sandcastle. She caught my eye and dropped a bucket to wave at me. "Loid-san! Come here if you want!"

I gave her a smile and just shook my head. I would, but I'm so tired I could—no, I want to be beside her. I groggily got off the lounge chair and headed over to where they were.

"And here comes the king!" Anya happily exclaimed, throwing some shells at me. I didn't know whether to smile at her or chastise her.

"Anya . . . " I just said, giving her a sympathetic glance. I looked down and saw Yor with her hair decorated with a conch shell. She had her hair down today and the shell was a small thing just right above her ear. She was kneeling, so the ends of her flowy sundress were sprawled on the sand. I couldn't resist myself. "My queen looks really pretty today, doesn't she?"

Anya squealed in happiness because I went along with another one of her roleplays. Yor only blushed and made noises of embarrassment.

"Well, since you both don't have an official wedding, why don't we hold it here?" Anya shouted in excitement. I'd like to tell her that that still wouldn't make our wedding official, but it can't hurt to do something memorable while we're here.

"Now, now, Anya, let's not get too loud," I smiled brightly at her. "But that is indeed a wonderful idea. What do you say, Yor?"

"Uh, sure!" Yor stood up and went beside my side. "How shall we do it?"

"I'll officiate the wedding!" Anya saluted, standing up as well to face me and Yor. "Ahem," she started. She was regarding the small crowd that formed around us, who perhaps found this scene cute. As much as I'd rather not attract attention, I don't want to ruin this moment with my newly formed family. "Welcome, friends and strangers. We are gathered here today to witness and celebrate the marriage of Loid Forger and Yor Briar." My jaw dropped, how could she have known to say those words without having attended a wedding herself?

But then Yor was looking at me expectantly and I realized it was my turn. I decided to recite our own version for our fake marriage. "Yor, in times of sickness, and in times of sorrow, whatever difficulties may come, let us be there for one another." As long as I can continue my mission, I said the last part again in my mind.

I brought out the ring I bought just a few days ago. It was a gold ring with diamonds encrusted in a rose-shaped base. Unfortunately, I had no choice but to ask Fiona for help in choosing one, which then became the cause of Yor's jealousy. I wanted to reassure her that she's the only girl I think about, and that my recent mall trips with Fiona were nothing but for my wife. But I guess now she knew as she stood there frozen in shock.

"Loid," she gasped softly, her hand covering her mouth. "You even brought a real ring—I-I mean, me too."

"So, Papa Loid, do you take Mama Yor as your wife?"

"I do."

"And Mama, do you take Papa as your husband?"

"I do."

"You may now kiss the bride."

I gingerly placed the ring on her finger. It was certainly better and more meaningful than the ring I had prepared and lost the night I proposed to her. But I hoped she still keeps the grenade ring I gave her instead. Without thinking, I cupped her face and leaned in for a kiss. It lasted for a few seconds before we pulled away blushing, my hand almost getting entangled with the waves of her hair.

The people around us started applauding, their claps getting lost in the sea breeze. Sunlight shone on me and Yor, making this moment even brighter. And for a while, I didn't mind the attention. It's certainly a rare occurrence, getting married to a kind and beautiful woman like her.

I was wrong with regards to what I had said earlier. I'll always be with you, I said in my head, as long as you let me.