according to plan

"Franky, this is pretty simple. I want you to go to Yor while she's working and give her this."

Loid Forger handed him his lab coat and notebook.

"Huh?" Franky gave him a look of annoyance. "You've been giving me so many side quests already. Why can't you do it yourself?"

"You see, Franky, I am a busy man. And I'm quite curious to know what'll happen in this situation. Let's see what my wife would do when you leave my things in her care."

"What?" Franky was seething now. "Just say that you miss her so much, you even want her to visit your workplace. Do you think you have the right to—"

"I've set you up on a blind date with the agent you like."

"Make sure you call the agency to alert the others in the hospital."

"I already did."

-

Loid was feeling smug when he sat on his swivel chair in his office, which was made to resemble a psychiatric office. One that Yor will visit anytime soon.

As if on cue, she came rushing to his door just a few seconds after. "Loid-san! You left your belongings!"

"Yor-san." Loid appeared surprised. "Where did you get these?" Truly a master of lies.

"Franky gave them to me. He said he was too busy to drop them off at the hospital." Yor went closer to check on him. "Hmm, you seem to have an extra lab coat. But your notebook! I wasn't sure if you have anything important written down here."

"Well, I may encounter previous patients whose details are stored here. So thank you so much for this, Yor-san. You're a lifesaver." Loid hugged her for added effect. But deep inside he was incredibly grateful his plan worked.

"Anything for you, Loid-san!" Yor exclaimed, clasping her hands together. She then stepped back and took the time to look around his office. It was a former psychiatrist's office, but this part of the hospital was run by WISE employees to make their work realistic. "So this is where you work. It really suits you."

"Of course." Loid gestured for her to sit on the reclining couch. He took some snacks from a cabinet and also sat on her side. "It's a good thing I'm not busy today, so we can have some time for each other." He lied to Franky earlier.

Yor only blushed. "I-Is that so? Then I'm happy to be spending time with you, Loid-san."

"Wait," Loid realized, "but don't you have to work?"

"Oh, did I not tell you? It's my day off today! Franky went to our place when he saw I wasn't in the city hall. In fact, let me tell you a little secret." Yor leaned into Loid, her breath fanning his ears. "I was the one who left the television show on so you'd have this idea. Thanks to you, everything went according to plan."

In the end, Loid was the one who got flustered—a spy getting one-upped by an assassin.

a double update! i'd also like to say thank you to those who commented and voted for this book. your support means so much to me :)