part three: pick your poison

Author's Note:

     CW: brief allusion to drugs

If there was one thing Eddie Munson knew, it was drugs.

Okay, maybe that fantasy game his club played, and the instruments you could tell had left their mark on his calloused fingertips, but drugs were the primary character here.

After your startled conversation in the hall, the older boy had hurried back to his club room, whispering something about a quest and swiping his tin lunchbox from the table as he returned to your side and accompanied you to lift your belongings from a frazzled Mrs. Bouschbel.

Following that encounter, the two of you meandered off campus into the nearby woods; you'd already missed your bus, and didn't have to worry about being late as long as you had a way to get home.

This idiot probably had a car. Hopefully.

Breaking the thick layer of awkward silence that had coupled your journey, Eddie cleared his throat beside you.

"So," he started. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

"Talk about what?" you replied indifferently, as if he hadn't caught you when he did.

"Fair enough."

With the silence broken, you now felt an annoying urge to fill it.

"I guess that's not too great of a first impression."

"I wouldn't call it first," he replied with a snort.

"Oh?" You turned your head, brow raised in anticipation.

He smiled. "First semester of last year. You had your nose buried in some heavy looking book for English, or maybe just for self-loathing purposes."

"Hey!" you elbowed him lightly, betrayed by your amusement.

"Anyway," he went on, "you were real' focused. Furrowed brow, hunched over on this one page with a pencil in your hand. Well, it just so happened that at that moment, I found myself in need of a pencil. I strolled over to your table, past your friends and right to you.

Right there, without even looking up at me, you flipped me off and turned the page before I got my first word out."

You could barely believe the memory, only vaguely recalling that point in the semester to have been the time you were making your way through War and Peace.

"Oh my god," you laughed, incredulous. "I totally flipped you off, didn't I?"

He placed a dramatic hand over his chest, stumbling back with a grin plastered on his face. "You wounded me, (y/l/n), I've never recovered."

You snorted, elbowing him again.

"Well, what was yours?"

"My what?"

"Your first impression. Of me."

You glanced at him as the two of you stepped over a particularly obscuring branch through the path in the woods.

"I don't remember." You looked away.

"Oh come on," he smiled. "Nobody looks away from something they don't remember. What was it?"

"Fine, fine," you sighed, raising your eyes as you recalled the memory. "It was my freshman year, you were a sophomore. I had just seen you get into an argument with one of the JV basketball guys, and when it looked like he was about to walk away, you grabbed Mikey Thompson's chocolate milk and dumped it over the dude's head. Right there. In front of everyone."

You laughed at your memory, nodding back to him in satisfaction of the recount.

"I remember that." Eddie smiled. "Kid totally deserved it."

You were starting to find that annoying smile a little less annoying.

"Well, what was so hard about that, huh?"

You kept on, stepping over a pile of stray twigs on the ground.

"Oh," he added, "so it's something."

"No, no," you began. "It's just.. I don't know, everybody thinks you're a total freak. Like you and your friends and your club... the observed consensus is that it's weird."

"Weird?"

"Weird."

"Weird!" he mused as he hoisted himself over a fallen tree, "is a strong word, (y/l/n)" The older boy rolled his eyes flamboyantly, making a mockery of the rumors about him as he touched down on the other side.

You were starting to think they might be true. Even so, you kept pace by his side as the two of you stumbled through the woods.

"Well, I never said it was a bad thing."

No, it certainly wasn't.

Before you could consider it any further, he held a hand out behind him, signaling you to stop.

"Here!" he gestured, arms out.

Munson turned back to look at you, his snarky, boyish grin having returned.

He gestured to a picnic table, where he promptly set down his tin box and signaled you to sit across from him.

"So," he mused. "What's your poison?"