part thirteen: the broken chain

Author's Note: RIP Chrissy you would've loved not dying in Eddie's trailer

Bold: Eddie's pov

CW: descriptions similar to the aftermath of a panic attack

"(Y/l/n)? Hey, you alright in there?" He tapped a knuckle against the wooden door.

You remained silent on the other side, now noticeably propped open as Eddie caught the image of your foot lying idle on the bathroom floor.

Shit.

"Alright (y/l/n), okay, you're okay..." he rambled shakily, the assurance more for himself as he gripped the edge of the door and hastily swung it aside.

He sucked in a breath as he saw you, collapsed on the floor, hunched over and sobbing near-silently, as if trying to hide from the ceiling.

_________________

You heard him enter, unable to respond as you dragged air through your lungs.

You were slumped on the tile, lying in a heap on your side with the cool stone biting into the skin of your face.

You began trying to rise, fumbling with your legs as you slid, unable to support your own weight without the traction of the shoes you'd abandoned in the kitchen.

"Hey, hey, hey," he breathed, rushing forward to you as he wrapped his arms under your own. "I got you, (y/l/n), I got you. I'm here."

You stopped fighting for momentum as you gave in and collapsed against his chest, his breathing deep behind you while your own lungs labored for clarity.

You gripped his arms as they held firmly around you, holding you up. Supporting you.

You knew the sensation of the bathtub digging into his back couldn't have been pleasant, and you tried to shift your weight off of him.

"(Y/n)," he assured, like he could read your mind, "I'm here."

With that,  you let your body fall against him once more, finding the unspoken promise in his words.

Your head fell back against his chest as a tear escaped your eye and streamed down your face.

He simply raised a hand gingerly to your cheek, brushing the tear away with his jeweled thumb and combing a stray hair out of your face to tuck it behind your ear.

"Something..." you started, shakily recalling your reflection just minutes prior. "Something happened. Something different. It wasn't a nightmare, I-"

A sob nearly broke from your chest. "I don't know what it was."

Eddie rested his chin against the top of your head, smoothing your hair with a calloused hand. "You don't need to explain it. Not right now, at least." The assurance washed through you like a cool breeze on a summer day. "You're safe, (y/n). You're safe."

His words were a soothing whisper behind your ear, meant equally for the both of you.

Your pulse had calmed, his presence a blanket over the raging fire you'd left in your unconscious wake.

Now with the strength to prop yourself up, you turned to face him, crossing your legs as he sat up straighter opposite you.

His eyes were drowned in worry, flickering with concern for you. He tracked the movement of your palms as they rose from the tile to wipe any remaining tears from under your eyes.

You buried your grief behind your hands, pressed to your face and hiding from his nervous gaze.

You didn't know what to say. You barely even knew what to think, let alone consider how you must've looked in that moment.

"Hey," he slid closer to you, lightly gripping your hands as you allowed him to move them from your face. "You don't need to hide from me, (y/l/n)."

The metalhead smiled at you, sincere as you'd ever seen him, regarding past your fear and into your eyes.

You peered back up at him, resigning your shame as he smiled at you. In spite of your panic, your disoriented thoughts, the ringing in your ears as you shook off that echoing shriek, he simply sat before you. He smiled like he'd be just as content watching paint dry. Just as thrilled to open a textbook and study for a test.

"Thanks for sitting on the ground with me, Munson," you muttered, still not breaking his stare.

He held your gaze. "Any time, (y/l/n)." He peered around beside the both of you. "Although," he added, gesturing to the dust lining the wall adjacent to the sink, "we might wanna shoot for your bathroom floor next time. 'Cause I can't remember the last time I swept up in here."

A laugh escaped you as a smile cracked on your face, his own stare falling while the two of you shared in the diversion.

Something lifted off your chest, in that moment, like a dense weight you hadn't realized had been pressing down on you all these weeks, secured by a heavy chain of grief that finally seemed to break.

"You, Eddie Munson," you nudged him with a heel, squinting  at the end of a joint tossed haphazardly in the corner, "are an absolute freakshow."

He caught your leg lightly with a hand, pulling you closer as he rested his forehead against your own.

"And you, (y/n) (y/l/n), are the best spectator a freak could ever dream of."