Chapter 3 - Gut Feeling

Haldir dutifully reported to Celeborn. Unusually, Celeborn repeatedly asked Haldir to confirm everything more than once. Yes, he was sure there were no breaches. Yes, he was sure there were enough staff to have round the clock surveillance. Yes, he was sure no orcs have been sighted in months.

Although this was indeed odd, Haldir could only think that it was only three more days until the blood moon, which meant three weeks off duty. No twelve hour shifts for three whole weeks. Although he lived for his work, this ellon was tired. He needed a break, and he knew it. He was growing short in temper with his brothers Rumil and Orophin and was irritated by their easy-going nature. He was going to switch up the groups of wardens, surely working with his brothers and living so close was a conflict of interest?

Haldir half-heartedly listened as others gave their reports for the borders of north, east and western Lorien. His duty was to know all goings on, so stay he must. Every elf said the same thing: no orcs, no breaches. Nothing. Suddenly, Haldir had an uneasy feeling in his gut, a feeling that was rarely wrong and rarely roused. Why is it so quiet? Normally there was something to report, even if only a sighting of travellers.

As Celeborn dismissed the others, he advanced to Haldir.

"You are our most trusted member of staff, Marchwarden. I trust what I tell you goes no further, including your brothers."

Haldir nodded curtly. "Of course, Hir vuin."

Celeborn sighed, unsure of how to breach his fears. Worse was, they were as yet unfounded. He had no proof. "Haldir," he put his hand oh his shoulder, "I worry what comes. I know not what, where or how. I have no more than a feeling as proof."

Haldir shuffled on his feet uncomfortably, "Yes, I feel it, too. I also noted it seems too quiet. However, I have seen and heard nothing of note from sources out with Lorien. I have no further information of worth to offer. I can send scouts out to neighbouring towns of men, in the morning if you wish?"

Celeborn nodded and dismissed him. Haldir nodded and spun on his heel. The angst in his gut growing, it was time to find Lady Galadriel.

Of course, she is no longer at the mirror, Haldir sighed to himself. It was late, and he wondered where else his Lady could be. He stood contemplating who he was going to send as scouts to neighbouring villages. Not the ellons with wives and children at home. Not if he could help it, anyway. The 12-hour shifts were gruelling on families enough without them going away for weeks on top. Perhaps he himself, would go. He would definitely send his brothers, as annoying as they were, he knew their skills and trustworthiness. He could depend on them. He could also explain his feeling in his gut without betraying Celeborn.

"Haldir."

Pulled from his musings, he stood poker straight as he saw Lady Galadriel. "Apologies, my Lady."

"Your apology is not required, Marchwarden." She looked at him knowingly, and he dipped his eyes. "Now, tell me. What do you know of the stories of the elven water-witch?"

Haldir's eyes opened wide in surprise, and a frown crossed his face which faded as quickly as it appeared. He did not expect to meet with his Lady to discuss mere myths or legends. "You speak of Gaeariel?"

Galadriel nodded.

"I know she died in battle. And that she had a voice like no other."

Galadriel smiled serenely, and despite being a battle-hardened warrior, this always disarmed him.

"I heard her sing, Marchwarden. I heard her laughs, saw her smiles and her tears. It is a wound time has never truly healed. For all those that came across her."

Unsure why Lady Galadriel was telling him this, he whispered, "I am sorry." He dipped his head and despite failing to understand her purpose, he did understand her pain and loss. He had lost many friends and family in battle and otherwise.

Galadriel cupped his face in her hand, I know. We all know pain.

"Now," Galadriel spoke softly, "I understand you will wonder why I am telling you this. I have foreseen the return of Gaeariel. As our, my, most trusted warden, I want you to receive her. I can tell you only this, she will appear on the blood moon. Then you must take her to a body of water, one that is safe, of course. It matters not whether lake, stream, or river, and you will submerge her. Hold her if needs be, she will be extremely weak, and it is imperative she stays in water until she rejuvenates."

Haldir stood expressionless. Fuck, thisexplains my gut feeling.