Ch. 3

{Three months later}

My training has been going pretty smoothly considering my trainer is someone I don't have the closest relationship with. I kept my word. Not a single word even slightly related to our argument that night had been spoken. Not even one. Unfortunately, because of that, I haven't had an opportunity to find out more.

The Scouts had gone on an exhibition out to Wall Maria once again. Just a short one. They weren't really doing much except mapping routes and getting in-battle experience. Levi and Erwin told everyone I was sick and had to stay behind, since even after three months, I'm still not able to use the gear. I mean, come on. Most people take three years to learn the gear.

I've been on cleaning and service duty since the others left a few weeks ago, but as soon as they're back, I will finally be relieved of this tiresome job. Hange had advised me before the trip to clean Levi's room as it would have collected dust while he was gone and to make tea for him just before his return. None of that made sense to me, but I'm doing it anyway. If I act nice maybe I'll be able to smuggle some information out of that mouth of his.

I placed a teacup, a small kettle of tea, a small bowl of sugar and a little milk jug on a tray. It was cute, but something was missing. A bit of colour. I placed a small vase of flowers I had picked from the garden earlier and placed it in the middle of the tray.

A small lady walked into the room, clearing her throat. She was the head housekeeper and currently my boss and believe me when I say I hate her with a passion!

"The garden," was all she said, tilting her head in the exact same condescending manner that I despise.

She does this all the time and it's so annoying! She'll mention an area you worked in, expecting you to know what part of your area didn't meet her standards.

"What about the garden?" I asked. "I trimmed the flowers and hedges, swept up all the leaves, even picked flowers for Captain Levi!" I groaned inwardly.

She scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"The flowers aren't trimmed properly. The hedges are an absolute disaster. I stepped on two leaves while I was outside. You really expect the Scouts to be happy with this utter failure? They're home now! Just entered the gates!"

"Well, can I at least serve the Captain his tea before I-"

"No! No, you cannot! Go do your chores!" Her eyes were narrowed dangerously, obviously pissed.

I glared at her, biting my tongue as I left the tray on the bench and walked out of the room towards the front garden. I watched as the last of the Scouts entered the gates. I clicked my tongue as I grabbed a broom leaning on the wall and started sweeping the non-existent leaves on the ground, muttering inaudible insults.

"Oi..."

I turned my head to look at a man standing a little while away on the street. He looked familiar, as did the other men he was standing with. The man lifted his finger and pointed at me.

"I recognise you from somewhere..."

As soon as I heard his gruff voice again, I instantly remembered who he was. A few months ago, I fell asleep in his stall to find shelter from the rain and he kicked me out by beating my ass with a broom, which I broke. The other men were all others who had tormented me also. I only returned the favour.

"That's the girl... who stole bread from my stall!" one of the other men said.

Because he insulted my entire existence.

"You... You're the one who broke my broom!"

"That broom was replaceable!" I yelled back at him.

The other men all started talking over each other about the small things I had done, before approaching me with a deathly glare in their eyes.