1. Prologue

KENNEDY

KENNEDY

• • •

cold.

It was so cold outside.

My hair was frizzy, my clothes were basically torn to shreds, my feet ached like I've been on them for hours.

Day 23. Twenty-three days since the world came to an end.

And I'm sure I was going down with it.

On the run with nothing but a knife and some chips and a water bottle.. walkers everywhere.

No matter where I had turned it was like more just kept coming..

I lost my family, friends.. everything is gone.

I wish I could say I was strong enough to save them

But I wasn't.

"Come on!" I whispered as I rummaged through the pantry like a hungry dog. Trying to find anything to help get me further.

The sound of the floor creaking caught my ear. My heart had stopped for what felt like forever as I reached for my knife on the counter, my hand shaking as I tried to keep my cool.

You'd think I would've gotten used to this..

"Wouldn't do that if i were you" i stopped.

It was a voice.. a human voice.

It almost sounded too good to be true. I was starting to lose hope on ever finding anybody..

"Turn around. Nice and slow" i sighed and put my hands up, slowly turning around with my head down. "Put 'ya head up wont 'ya?"

I bit my lip to stop it from quivering as I look up, my eyes meeting the man in front of me.

"P-please don't shoot" i stared at the crossbow that was pointed right at me, tears on the verge of spilling from my eyes.

More footsteps sounded from the other room making me instantly reach for my knife, but the man held the boy closer.

"I said I wouldn't do that if i were you" He stared at me with the most serious expression I could imagine, it almost terrified me.

Another man walked into the room, a gun being pointed at me now.

I was shaking, if anything I wasn't scared

I was terrified.

"P-please.." the man lowered his gun, sighing once he saw my shaking hands cover my face. "I-i don't know who you are but whatever you want just-"