Distance

(Skip to the match with Aoba Johsai)

No one’s P.O.V

It was the last match of the day and it would decide who would go to the finals. You were nervous but you knew the team was even more. You were giving your team water and things to help with their nervousness. But you then heard the voice of someone who didn’t want to hear from.
“F/N-chaaan~” It was Oikawa.
“Hey Oikawa-san,” You said with a bit of annoyance.
“Are you ready to see Kurasuno lose once again?” He said with a huge smile.
“They will not lose. I can assure you that Toru-san” You said, emphasizing his name with clear malice.
“How about we make a bet on F/N-san?” He said grinning.
“What would be the deal?” You said, a bit curious.
“If Kurasuno wins the match, I'll leave you and your team alone.” He said.
You liked the idea of that but you felt that the other part would be outrageous. You nodded.
“If we win, then you will have to go on a date with me” He said very casually.
The audacity of this guy. You were dumbfounded but you didn’t realize that the whole team heard the bet. Tanaka and Nishinoya were practically emanating flames and the others didn’t seem pleased either. Daichi was crushing his plastic water bottle in his hands.
“W-well You better prepare yourself because Kurasuno will win Toru-kun” You told him with a smile.
“Let’s see about that F/N-chan,” He said while walking away. All you could do is hope for the team to beat them and not go on that date.
The match finished with Kurasuno being the victor. Everyone was happy and you were especially relieved. You were helping Kiyoko pack up when Oikawa grabbed you and pulled you away from the gym. He put you against the wall with both of his hands beside your face.
“R-remember we made a deal, Oikawa-san.” You told him a bit flustered.
“But I don’t want to lose you F/N-san” He said with his eyes visibly sad.
“It’s okay Oikawa-san we can still be friends right? You told him while giving him a smile.
He leaned in closer to face but stopped. He proceeds to put his head on your shoulder.
“I don’t want to be just friends. I want to be more than that.” He said.
You gently pushed him off.
“I’m sorry Oikawa-san but I like someone else.” You told him.
He froze in his place and let out a small laugh. He then kissed your forehead. Your face turned red.
“Goodbye F/N-chan” He said and walked away. You were flustered but you knew that you couldn’t accept his feelings. You were sure that the person you truly love is Daichi. He was the only one you could make your heart beat faster and his touch made your stomach flutter with a million butterflies. But it was bittersweet since you don’t know he feels about you. But what you didn’t realize was that Daichi had listened to everything you and Oikawa were talking about. He clenched his fist when he heard you say he liked someone. He left immediately after Oikawa did and made his way to the bus. It was a quiet ride and everybody could see that Daichi wasn’t okay. He kept a stern face the whole time. After everyone got out you walked towards Daichi to see if he was okay.
“Daichi-kun are you okay?” You asked him.
“Yeah I’m fine. Sorry but today I can’t walk you home I need to run some errands.” He said with a monotone voice.
“It's almost night. What errands could you possibly get? Almost all the stores are about to close and it’s fine I can walk on my own. Did something happen?” You told him worriedly.
“It’s nothing. See you L/N-san” He said coldly and left.
Your eyes were wide opened because Daichi has never treated you this coldly before and he addressed you by your last name. It hurts. That's all you could think about. Your heart felt like it was about to burst. You started to make your way home and you could feel tears forming since your vision got blurry. You began to run towards your house. You just wanted to go to bed and not feel anything. But the tears started to fall down and while wiping them away you tripped between a crack. You fell down hard and you didn’t land well either. You had scraped your knees, forearm and one side of your face. You got up and giggled.
“Wow today really is a bad day.” You said with tears running down your cheeks. You got home and started to clean your scrapes and went to bed after a long hot shower. You were tired and slept with a couple of tears in your eyes.
It was the next day and the team was now heading their way to the finals. You had strategically made your hair cover the side of your face and lucky managers wore sweat suits so it could hide your bandaids. You started to help with equipment until you heard someone call out Daichi’s name.
You turned and saw it was Yui with two other girls. Daichi turned to her but you were too far away to hear anything. But that didn’t stop you from seeing what was happening. Yui seemed nervous and gave Daichi a red charm. He smiled back at her. All you could remember was Daichi’s cold face the day before. You tighten the grip of the box you were holding. He appeared to thank her and patted her head. You knew you were jealous but there was nothing you could do about it. You scoffed and turned around to help move the equipment. Stop thinking about how you feel. I can’t compete with Yui. I need to support the team. You told yourself and masked your hurt with the biggest smile you could manage.
(time skip to the end of Shiratorizawa match and Kurasuno the victor facing towards the cheering balcony)
The teamed bowed and you were cheering them on as loud as you could. You were happy for the team. But then you saw Daichi hold out a red charm. He was looking at Yui. She was smiling and in tears. You saw the way they looked at each other. You bit your lip. But you needed to do something before someone noticed your face which looked like you were rejected.  You grabbed the railing and went forwards a bit.
“You guys won. Now we will fly higher than ever!” You screamed at the top of your lungs and your voice was a mixture of happiness and sorrow . Eventually you made your way down to see the team. There was Daichi standing there right in front of you. Only 6 feet separating you from him. You took the first step and almost began to run but you saw someone rush past you into Daichi’s arm. Yui had practically lunged herself to him. They embraced each other tightly and Daichi was wiping her tears. Your heart shattered into a million pieces. You knew this was coming someday. You started to bite your lips harder to avoid tears forming. It’s over. But you had to keep your composure.
“I'm so proud of you guys!” You yelled out to the team and started to hug everyone. You were laughing and smiling but all you wanted to do is cry.

Why did I have to fall for him?