Sunday

word count -> 4.2k

plot summary -> your date night takes an unexpected turn and steven doesn't know what day it is

a/n -> this is my first moon knight fic i've written, i hope you enjoy it ! feel free to send me prompts, and check out my tumblr @/isawanangell

...

You arrive early, and he's sat waiting.

The sight of him sends a familiar thrill through you, despite the fact that you've barely ever spoken to him. Steven with a V, the guy working in the gift shop; the bane of Donna's existence. You've heard your boss complain about Steven more than all of your other co-workers at the museum combined.

Given your dislike of Donna, this has only served to make you like him more.

Steven looks tired, as per usual, and his knee is bouncing at a rapid pace underneath the tablecloth, his fingers tapping out a nervous beat on the table.

You hover several feet away, uncertain. Two thoughts coexist in your head: one, why is he here? And more importantly, two, can you go over? Because he's waiting, yes, but definitely not for you.

Only this week had you finally managed to pluck up the courage to decide that you were going to ask him out. Or at least talk to him. There had been less of a plan, more of a whim borne of the several glasses of wine you'd consumed with your chinese takeaway the night before.

Upon waking up the morning after, you'd swiftly decided that no, you would not be asking anyone out, until you crossed paths with Steven as he was rushing into work.

'Late again, Stevie,' Donna reprimanded him from across the room as he'd hurried through the door. He'd turned to the sound of her voice, and subsequently hadn't seen you walking towards him, also looking over your shoulder.

'It's Steven,' he'd replied. 'Ste-'

You'd gasped as the two of you collided, turning just in time to catch the flask of coffee which Steven had been about to dump all over your chest.

'Oh, bollocks, I'm so sorry,' he'd apologised hastily, looking at you with genuine worry in his eyes. Genuine worry which you did not see, preoccupied as you were with finding yourself at such close proximity to his chest.

'It's okay,' you'd smiled, recovering quickly, before looking up at him and having the breath inadvertently knocked out of you again. He was inexplicably better looking up close, his eyes a richer shade of brown than you could have possibly imagined, which you had. The unfairness of it had jolted you back to reality.

'Here,' you'd said, pushing his flask back into his hands and taking a step back.

'Thanks,' he'd replied, and with another smile you'd carried on walking. Fuck, you'd thought to yourself as you walked away to the dulcet tones of Donna complaining to someone how Steven couldn't even walk in a straight line properly.

How were you supposed to ask him out if you couldn't even look at him without being rendered totally useless?

The rest of your day was spent giving tours on autopilot and trying to supress the adrenaline that insisted upon aggressively coursing through your veins every time you saw Steven out of the corner of your eye, stronger and more intense than it had been in previous weeks. You had to do something about it. He would say yes, or he would say no, and that would be the end of it.

As it turned out, you wouldn't even have to ask him to get your answer. You'd just finished up your penultimate tour for the day and were hanging around by the gift shop bidding people goodbye when one of the other tour guides walked past you, her heels clicking on the marble floor, and went straight up to Steven, who was doing something behind the counter.