Professor

(Steven Grant x reader)

word count -> 5.2k

plot summary -> your egyptology professor is HOT

a/n -> i finally got round to writing this, as requested! hope you enjoy the shameless unedited indulgence that is this fic <3 (also my new @ on tumblr is isawthisangel, changed from isawanangell)

...

Autumn. The start of term, the start of your final year at university in London.

You walked into the lecture hall and cast about the room for your friends, your gaze falling instead on the man stood at the front of the room. He smiled at you, and immediately your heart shot up into your throat. He was gorgeous.

You'd flashed him a smile in return, praying that your expression was one of utter neutrality, and made your way to the left-hand side of the room where a few of your friends were sat huddled together, your thoughts still very much with the man at the front of the lecture hall. Who is he?

'Hey. You look like you've taken something. Have you taken something?' Annabel asks you, by way of greeting. You hit her lightly with your bag as you sit down.

'I haven't taken anything. Don't be stupid,' you reply.

'She looks fine to me,' Monica comments, squinting across at you.

'Nah, she's all glassy-eyed.'

'She is fine. Shut up,' you say, pulling your laptop out and opening it up, using it as an excuse to peek over the screen at the man again. He's still handsome.

'Oh Lord, she's got a crush on the professor,' Annabel sighs, and you flush red before her words actually sink in.

'I have not – wait, what? Did you say profess-'

'Okay, let's start. Good mornin' everyone, I'm Professor Grant and I'll be your Egyptology professor for this term.'

Even his voice was attractive. You sank a little lower in your seat, and Annabel raised an eyebrow next to you. How were you supposed to concentrate now? You were going to fail the unit for sure.

You're hopeless, Annabel typed on her screen.

What's that supposed to mean?, you typed on yours.

Crushing on the professor two minutes into the lecture, she typed, and you could see her annoying smirk out of the corner of your eye.

I'm not crushing on anyone

Sure.

I'm NOT, and besides

'Excuse me, Miss Y/L/N, Miss Clarke.'

The name of your last name in his mouth made you jump almost violently, and your finger flew to the backspace button on your keyboard.

'While I appreciate the enthusiasm, there's no need for notetakin' quite just yet,' he told you, his gaze fixed so directly on you that you felt as though you were about to melt into a puddle on the floor.

Willing your face not to go red, you tried to remember how to form words with your mouth. Everyone was looking at you.

'Sorry, Professor,' you said, mortified. Annabel stayed silent next to you.

He continued the lecture, and you sat very still, practically buzzing with embarrassment. Half an hour later, when notetaking was apparently now acceptable, you heard a muffled giggle from Monica, and turned to look in her direction.