1

"The emperor wants to see you, your highness." Was the first thing the new god heard ascending for the third time. Looking around he sweats, the heavens didn't use to look like this, was his ascension that messy?

"Ah oh dear. Umm, lead the way?" He laughed clearly nervous. Ling Wen nodded walking away, the younger god in tow. It was never a comfortable feeling to walk down that long stretch leading up to the emperor's palace. Especially when everyone watched and whispered. "It's not even five minutes."
"Is he to be banished again?"
"So soon as well what a joke."
"He really is the laughingstock."
"A disgrace of a prince."
"A shame really, he could have had it all."

Jun Wu sits on his throne eyes closed, waiting. "You may leave Ling Wen." He spoke not even sparing a glance. "Yes my lord." The god said leaving briskly.

Xie Lian stood fidgeting. "Xianle," the elder coos beckoning the younger. Xie Lian spooks and moves forward. "I'm sorry my lord." Xie Lian says walking forward ready to kneel. "You are?" The emperors asks stopping him from his action. Xie Lian doesn't struggle. "I am, please punish me how you see fit." He hears a sigh from above.

Looking up the emperor smiles, it's not exactly kind. "Then I have a task for you. Become a bride." He said. Xie lians eyes widen. Surely not. "Pay off your debt yourself, unless you'll allow me to pay it for you?"

The panic Xie Lian felt did disappear somewhat once the task was explained in more detail. Brides have been going missing near a remot village and he was tasked to bring an end to it. If it was between this and letting the emperor dote on him he'll play dress up. "Of course my lord, I am happy to..." the emperor looks expectingly. Xie Lian huffs smiling weakly. "I promise to become a... bride." He says dejectedly.

The emperor's smile darkens and he stands. "Remember that promise little one, I'll hold you to it."

With a weak nod Xie Lian leaves feeling a bad sense of dread. He feels he's signed up for something he shouldn't have. How was he supposed to catch a ghost groom dressed as a bride. Does he make himself look abandoned? Wait pitifully for the ghost to arrive.

He clutches his head. "Why me? Why did I have to ascend again? Who ever said third times the charm lied." He complains walking with no destination. His feet stop moving after a while and Xie Lian looks around. "Ah." He breaths. "I'm betraying myself."

He walks up to the gateway and places a gently hand against it. "What did I do to deserve this?" He asks. Anyone watching would think he's talking about the palace laid out in all its glory.

"You didn't. But what's done is done. Don't mope," then slightly softer. "It's unbecoming." Xie Lian finds his body locks up at the voice. His heart beats so loudly he feels the three realms can hear it. "Barely an hour in and you've cause quite the mess your highness." Xie Lian doesn't know wether to laugh or cry. "Do you plan to compensate me? And let's not forget Feng Xin, his whole palace came crashing down. At least it was only a bell that hit me."

Xie Lian tries to speak he really does, he opens his mouth but nothing leaves. "Rendering you speechless?" He says lowly. Xie Lian hears him close in. "Careful your highness I'll start reminiscing."
Xie Lian shivers. Was this supposed to be him getting told off or?

With new found strength he swallows his emotions and turns to face the god.

The god looked smug, strong features still the same after so long. The man wasn't too much taller than Xie Lian but he still felt caged by the other. So like he's learnt from his time in the mortal realm he lowers his head and apologises. "I'm so sorry for the inconvenience. You'll receive merit compensation as soon as possible." The god doesn't respond. "Do I not get a greeting?" He asks after a while. "Is my name poison to you?" Xie Lian hears him getting angry and feels stuck. "You won't even raise your head to look at me? Have I hurt you that badly?"

Xie Lian snaps his head up and looks eyes with the other. "No!" He shouts. Then flushing embarrassed tired again. "My apologies Mu Qing I didn't mean to offend you."

Mu Qing looks over the other and seems less than pleased. "Xie Lian your-" Xie Lian cuts him off by waving his arms around. "Ah haha, I'm sorry for cutting this short but I have to go back to Ling Wen and see if I can arrange some help-" he stumbles over his robes laughing awkwardly again. "Farewell." He shouts running off.

Looking back to make sure he's not being followed he lets out a breath of relief. Then in true Xie Lian fashion he feels his body slam into another. Xie Lian immediately lowers his head to apologise. "I'm so sorry, please forgive my rudeness. I should have been looking and not running-"
"Your... highness?" Xie Lian sweat drops.

He backs up hastily looking away. "Feng Xin. I'm sorry. I'm sorry about your palace, I'll be compensating you very soon, I just need some time. And I walked into you, I was rushing away and-"

"Your highness slow down. Why won't you look at me?" Xie Lian scrunches his face up. "I umm." Then sucking in a breath he looks up to the other. "I'm sorry, I really have to go. I've been given a task to complete." Then bowing he side steps and runs.

If Xie Lian cured he'd definitely be doing so now. Barely an hour in and he met the two he'd love to hide from most. How frustrating. How embarrassing! He made a fool of himself twice! Normal he wouldn't care but these weren't just any gods they were the gods. The gods Xie Lian's heart races for. The gods who he'd shared so many nights with. They had history and then it all ended so abruptly.

Xie Lian shakes his head. No he can't think like that. He did it for them. They would be laughingstocks if he had stayed. He would have dragged them down. They probably wouldn't have ascended if they'd stayed. They have a better life now, and that alone makes the pain worth it. Even if they hate him, even if their words seem flirty and carve into Xie Lian's heart. Even when he knows what he had will no longer return. His two most precious people are safe, popular and happy.

Who's he to rock up and ruin it.

"Your highness, it seems General Xuan Zhen has figured out the help is for you and has revealed this in the array. I fear there are no more helpers willing to join you." Xie Lian laughs. Ah, thus is his life. "It's fine if rather have had willing volunteers anyway." With that the god throws a smile over his shoulder and leaves for his task.

He can't say the decent was easy, after his less than gracefully fall from heaven he was left to bandage up most of his body. But thankfully he landed just outside the village so that was easy enough.

"Your highness, it seems some deputies have come to assist you." Ling Wen's voice rings in his mind. Oh. That's a shocking turn of events. "Thank you for the heads up." He responds, wether it gets through or not he's unsure.

Walking into the village he sees a small chance encounter shop and dips his head at the owner. "Some tea, if you may." He asks sitting himself down. "Yes of course." The man smiles running off to the kitchen.

He looks out the window at the world. A glimmer of silver catches his eyes and he sees a beautiful butterfly hovering. "How beautiful." Xie Lian mumbles raising a hand for it to perch on. The butterfly complies resting on his finger. "So you have worries?" He asks it. "If you don't I'm very jealous. My past seems to be hunting me and I'd love for it to stop."

The butterfly flutters lightly crawling further onto his hand. "What I'd give to be just like you, gorgeous, unburdened, free. It must be nice." He sighs. The butterfly flys up to land on the gods nose. "So delicate, you really are the most beautiful thing." He smiles. The creatures wing flutter happily and Xie Lian laughs.

He turns around butterfly still sat on his nose and stiffens. "Ah, umm. How long- how long have you been there?"

The two deputies stare at the god wide eyed almost frightened. "Oh!" He says gently shooing the creature away. "Go now, don't forget me." He whispers. The butterfly hovers for a second before leaving. Xie Lian watches it go before turning around again. "Anyway, you are?"