Chapter 20: Back To Bad Basics

The first thing that I saw when I entered his room was a gun lying on the floor and that was more than enough to stop my heart. Next I saw him, sitting on the floor right next to the gun, his shirt stained with blood. He looked distraught, his hair and clothes all messed up, his eyes lost. He sat their like an emotionless zombie, lost in a different world. I wanted to talk, I wanted to go comfort him, I had questions but my tongue froze and so did my mind.

I was trying to get it together and atleast tell him that I am here when he suddenly grabbed the gun on the floor and pointed it to me.

"Hyung, it's me! Jungkook!", I almost yelled, scared he could shoot me.

"I know it's you. Who is with you?", he grunted. And that is when I realised the gun was pointed in Jimin's direction, not mine.

"He is a friend, Jimin. He came here to help."

"Are you sure this man is blind?", Jimin whispered in my ear.

"Are you- are you okay?", I asked him even though I could see he wasn't. "Why do you have a gun in your hand? Why do you even own a gun? Why is there blood on your shirt? Are you hurt?", I couldn't help but ask.

Taehyung seemed to get out of whatever zone he was in. He still had the gun in his hand so none of us dared to step closer. He ignored all of my questions and decided to ask his own.

"What time is it?", he mumbled, his voice hoarse.

2:30 in the afternoon. Why?"

"Oh God! Is Areum back from school? Oh my God!", he instantly got up and placed the gun under the mattress.

"Yes. She is the one who called us. She was banging on your door and she was scared", I told him.

"She was banging on the door? I- I didn't-", he trailed off as I saw his face suddenly all worked up. I watched as his previously emotionless face now had guilt and fear written all over it.

"I need to see her. My poor child, she must be hungry and so scared. I need to-", he walked out of his room in a hurry, mumbling to himself when I ran behind him to make him stop.

"No, wait. You have blood on your shirt, you can't let her see you like this. You will scare her even more", I tried to explain and that made him stop on his way.

He walked back to his room when he stumbled on the broken door of his room lying in the corridor. I  grabbed him before he could fall. "I am sorry that's the door. We had to break it. You weren't answering."

"Get it out of my way", he hissed and walked right to his closet, grabbed a random shirt, removed the stained shirt, wore the new one and rushed to Areum's room, followed by Jimin and I.

"Appaaaa", Areum cried out loud when she saw her father enter her room.

"Ary!", Taehyung went down on his knees and opened his arms to his little girl who ran into them. I watched him embrace his daughter into his arms as tears rolled down his eyes.

"I am so sorry Ary! Appa is so sorry he scared you. I am such a terrible father. I am so sorry", he mumbled holding the little girl in his arms and let her hear him sob. My heart broke for him. I found him with a gun with blood on his shirt that wasn't his. These weren't great signs. Suddenly the man I thought I knew and loved wasn't the man I knew at all. I didn't know this Taehyung who could hurt someone with a gun. The Taehyung I saw in front of me with his daughter is the Taehyung I knew.

"Appa..are you hurt?", this is all Areum asked, pulling away from her father's embrace and wiping the tears off his face. "I was calling for you. You scared me", she said sniffling.