chapter one

"Quinn! Get up now!" I heard my mom yell from the bottom of our stairs

"Quinn! Get up now!" I heard my mom yell from the bottom of our stairs. I groaned into my pillow before finally looking at my alarm clock.

"Shit," I muttered as I got up quickly. "First day of school and I'm going to be late. Great first impression, Quinn."

My body felt almost electric as my feet slammed against the cold wooden floor. My room felt unfamiliar to me, mostly because it was. We had moved to Hawkins not even a week before.

I trudged down the stairs and the smell of bacon and eggs rushed towards my nose. It was a shame that my messed up sleep schedule was going to make me miss that.

"Quinneth Louise Wilmont, you better fix that damned sleep schedule, and you better do it soon." My mom scolded me as I tied my dark blue converse at the front door.

"Yup, love you, mom!" I shot her a smile before heading out the door. Our driveway was just long enough for me to pull out my Walkman and put on my headphones.

I tried to walk as fast as I could so I wouldn't miss the bus. School was 7 miles away and there was no way I was walking. I hummed along to soft cell's "tainted love" as I approached the bus stop.

"I've never seen you here before," a boy with brown curly hair said as he looked at me, "my name is Dustin." His hand shot out towards me for a hand shake.

I slowly took off my headphones and shook his hand, "Quinn." I smiled before putting my headphones back on.

"Quinn?" I heard his voice lowly through my headphones. I thought about pretending I didn't hear him but reminded myself that I had no friends as it was, so I had nothing to lose.

"Yeah?" I sighed taking my headphones and pausing the song I was on.

"No, no," he laughed. "Like what's your last name?"

"Wilmont."

"Quinn Wilmont. I've never heard of any Wilmont's around Hawkins. Did you just move here?" He asked.

I nodded my head, "Yeah, just last week."

He smiled at me again, I almost thought the conversation was over. I looked at my watch, 8:23. The bus couldn't be too far away. I peered over Dustin's shoulder and looked down the road.

"So, where do you live?," He said as he turned his head over his shoulder to see what I was looking at. "This bus never comes on time."

As intrusive as the question was, Dustin seemed harmless. "My parents bought the house over on Southwood."

"Can I see your schedule, I could be your tour guide for the day!"

I smiled at him and pulled out the neatly tucked way piece of paper from my backpack and handing it to him quickly.

Mrs. Jane Kadner, Science

Mr. John Krause, English

Mr. Steven Belich, Mathematics