chapter two

"Why would you move all the way from sunny California to boring old Indiana?" Lucas questioned me as I situated myself at the lunch table

"I didn't exactly chose to move," I laughed. "My parents are just obsessed with this whole 'new beginning' thing.

The boys all laughed simultaneously at something that Mike had said before we heard a man talking over the PA system.

"Attention students of Hawkins High, this is your principal speaking," the room grew quiet. "First, I'd like to say congrats to the football team on the win last Friday night against the Elkhart Eagles!" The lunchroom erupted with cheers and the football players running around and jumping on tables. I smiled at how much spirit the small school had.

The principal waited a moment before speaking again, "And secondly, tryouts for volleyball and sign-up for the School Newspaper will be today after school, have a great rest of your Monday."

The boys looked at each other once the talking began again in the lunchroom. "I wonder if Max is gonna sign-up this year."  Lucas said as he looked around to see if anyone else had an answer.

Mike and Will both laughed before shaking their heads. Lucas gave them a glare before taking another drink of his milk. I could tell that he wasn't a fan of the other boys talking badly about their other friend.

"Maxine Mayfield would never sign up for anything. Unless it was like an arcade club or something." Will said while looking at Lucas.

"Yeah, well at least she actually has hobbies unlike you losers!" Lucas snapped back playfully as his friends.

"Hey!," Mike argued, "All of us are in Dungeons and Dragons club, including you."

Lucas rolled his eyes and shoved his stuff into his backpack before standing up, "Whatever. I gotta get to practice early," he looked at me with a smile and waved bye, "It was cool meeting you, Quinn, sorry I have to leave you with a table full of losers."

I laughed as I nodded my head, "You too, Lucas. And I think I'll survive." I turned back to the boys who all guy Lucas a grim look as he walked away. Dustin even flipped him off.

"So," I sucked in a breath of air, "where is Max anyways?"

Will shrugged, "Sometimes she eats with us, sometimes she doesn't. You never know with Max."

I nodded as my eye caught Dustin looking at his watch and grabbing his stuff frantically, "Shit, guys we gotta go or we're gonna be late to D&D." Both Mike and Will started gathering up their things and headed towards the door, waving goodbye to me.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Quinn." Dustin said as he followed them.

"See you, Dustin." I said. I sat in the lunchroom for a little while longer before deciding to go outside and wait for my mom a little early. On the way outside I passed the bulletin board with all the clubs.