Fifth Year

Harry had a lot going on in fifth year.
Lots of neurodivergent people have safe foods, or food that doesn't trigger sensory issues. Harry is very overwhelmed by everything happening to him, so he falls back on things that usually comfort him.

Ron POV

When Harry comes back from the Dursleys, he's different...in a not great way. He's tense as ever, and his temper is flaring just below the surface.

He's gone back to first year, when he wouldn't speak and instead rocked or flapped his hands. He doesn't tie his shoes, and when he tries, his face reddens with frustration.

At dinner, he rocks and clutches his collar unless his favorite foods are there. One day as we're getting changed after Quidditch practice, he quietly opens up. "I really want to eat, Ron. But I only like certain food. The rest is...bad textures."

Any progress he made coming out of his shell since first year is gone. He's gone quiet and doesn't leave our side. Hermione constantly watches him with an anxious frown.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel a tug on my sleeve, and I look over to see Harry timidly staring at his shoes. "Is everything okay, mate?"

He shakes his head, rocking on his toes and clutching his shirt collar. "Too loud in here..."

Hermione looks up from her book, eyebrows scrunched in worry. "We can leave, Harry. I was bored anyway."

He doesn't let go of his collar until we're outside by a tree we all like. Harry finally relaxes, rocking in the grass and letting a smile slip out. "Thanks."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry POV

The three of us develop a tentative routine of going outside to our tree in the evenings. The normalcy relaxes me, and I latch onto something to finally depend on.

But one day, it's too rainy to go outside. It's a bad day; all my senses are agitated, and I'm stuck inside the noisy common room. When I don't see my favorite foods at dinner, it only upsets me more. To make it worse, Ron and Hermione are doing Prefect duties, so I'm by myself.

My anxiety skyrockets, and I end up running to the dormitories. By the time I'm finally by my bed, I'm so overwhelmed that I start my night routine early.

When I first came to Hogwarts, my senses were all over the place and I was terribly confused by the showers, to the point that Percy had to show me how to turn them on, turn them off, all that. I was nervous, but he was all too happy to help.

Now, I'm so used to my own nighttime routine that I look forward to it. I don't know why, but warm water and the same bar of pine scented soap comforts me. Sometimes I flap my hands under the stream of hot water, and I can feel all the tension leaving my body.

I don't know why loud rooms upset me, or why I have to eat only certain foods, or why anyone but Ron, Hermione, and Hagrid make me nervous. But since the events of fourth year, everything feels unsafe. I'm so paranoid and on edge.