01.

Arya James

The intercom rang for me, I checked which room it was from and to my surprise it was my boss's. I answered it expecting another one of his nagging scolds, yet to my shock he was asking for me.

"Ms James, to my office now." He was as cold as ever, not a single please evident but I had to deal with it. I straightened my pencil skirt and grabbed my notepad. After a couple of knocks, I heard his deep voice instruct me to go in.

I stood before him with my back straight attempting to seem confident, he gestured for me to sit, I followed his instruction and sat myself in the chair in front of me. "What can I help with sir?"

He sighed and stood up, not saying a word. His hands played with the silver thick cut ring on his middle finger, wrapped fittingly around his right hand.

He seemed stressed, the features of his face were all scrunched in stress, as if he had been thinking for some time now.

"I have a proposal." Was all he said as he sat himself on the edge of his desk next to me, my face lit up. "And what would that be?" I tried to sound as formal as possible but lord knows I am dying with curiosity inside.

He continued to play with his ring, twirling it and taking it off. "Be my fiancé for five months, in return I'll pay you double your pay and we can forget about it after." He said finally glancing at me, his eyes carried an emotion, they begged for me.

I probably looked stunned as if I had seen a headless man, "where is this coming from?" I questioned him shifting in my seat now seating directly in-front of him attention head straight on him.

"I know it's an odd proposal, something quite confusing to be asked for. But I made a mistake, for the past year I've lied to my parents about being in a committed relationship, and now they want to meet my 'fiancé' and I'm in desperate need of someone who can help me, someone I trust."

I laughed hearing his lies, my hand covered my mouth trying not to make too much noise, but I failed tremendously because the stare I received from the cold hearted man in front of me shut me up instantly.

"Sorry sorry, but you thought I would be fit for this role?" He looked at me and nodded,

"You've worked with me for two years now, and I'm yet to see you mess up anything."

Truly I was more than surprised he recognised my efforts, I contemplated whether or not to take the offer, the money would be great. Instead of $3000 a week I could get a solid $6000 or even more.

"Triple and I'll be the best fiancé you've ever had." I extended my hand for him to take, he looked at it and no time longer we were shaking in agreement.

"That's fine with me, I'll send you the contract and after we can pretend nothing happened," we had stopped shaking hands as he spoke but his hold still lingered until I pulled away.

"I'm assuming I have to move in with you?,"he shook his head in agreement. "Yes, but you must move in by tonight."

"Tonight! Isn't that way too soon."

"It is and I would have loved to give you some time to prepare, and for myself as well but my mother is a very persistent woman." He sighed standing up walking towards his small table, he pulled himself a glass of water.

I followed behind him, "odd question but do we have to share a bed as well."

Hearing my words caused him to choke on his drink, "excuse me, I'm afraid we have to."

I wasn't too opposing on the idea but he made it clear it was uncomfortable for him, I nodded and took my notepad. "I'll have everything packed after work and head to your place." I stood by the door holding the handle, he looked at me and nodded.

I took my dismiss and headed back to my office adjacent to his, there was a stack of forms I needed to complete but my mind kept tracing back to the conversation I had just had.

A man so cold and arrogant had chosen me? The woman who he despised, to be in a fake relationship with him? Maybe it was all a dream, maybe my lack of sleep was starting to take toll on my consciousness.

Never in my all two and a half years of working here had he even addressed me by my first name, it was always Ms James to him, and Mr Evans to me. He never asked me for anything but work and coffee.

That was our conversation everyday for the past two years. This new sudden change was something, I'm still confused and scared of but if it has money on the table, I'll take it.

____________

Time has gone by and it's now past 5pm. Just like every other day, it was time for me to head home. On most occasions Mr. Evans would part home first but he was quiet this whole afternoon. Not a single sound from him after our last conversation.

A part of me grew worried, it was my job as his secretary to look after him and attend help to him but no part of me wanted to overstep my boundaries.

Softly I knocked on his door, awaiting for a response. A faint yet authoritative 'come in' came from beyond the door. As told I walked in to see him sitting in the dim lighting signing papers. I'm guessing he knew it was me even though he didn't raise his gaze to me.

"Miss James, what can I help you with?" He was back to being his normal self, I decided to stay by the door. "I'm heading home now, could you send me your address so that I can drive later tonight?"

He kept his gaze on the white papers in-front of him, not lifting his pen off the surface of the paper. "I'll drive you, I'm almost finished with this..." he paused before pushing the papers away from him.

He closed his pen and lifted his head.
"...there, shall we?" I grabbed his coat and settled it down his broad shoulder, he thanked me and we left the dark office. Except for some lit up vending machines, everything was dim and quiet.

It was just us and some guards left within the large building, for such a dark aura it was peaceful, quiet and comforting. Nothing could distract you, the echo of my heels hitting the ground felt like a continuous beat.

"All you will really need to pack, are your necessaries, clothes and any other important things. I'll have anything else provided for you."

We entered the elevator door and stood apart from one another, "I'm not sure if you're fond of animals but I happen to have a young puppy who I can't just leave."

He closed his eyes and rubbed them in stress with his hand, after a soft groan he opened them and looked at me. "No one can look after it?"

"He's a still baby, very scared of new people." I answered.

"Fine, we can take him home, but if he smears his pee or shit anyone near my furniture he's sleeping outside." He warned raising a finger to the sky.

"Copy that." I chuckled trying to create light energy, however, he kept his poker face still, no emotion...again.

____________

Please vote & comment 🫶🏾