Chapter 1 - The Flash

Manila, Republic of the Philippines

July 26, Gregorian Calendar Year 2025, 5:45 A.M

Malacañang Palace

The sun rises in the east, illuminating the towering skyscrapers and paved streets of Manila. The roads and streets were starting to get busier as people, mostly students, are heading to work or to their respective schools.

Within the district of San Juan sits the Malacañang Palace complex. The sprawling complex contains mansions and office buildings designed and built around the bahay na bato and neoclassical styles. The Malacañang Palace is the main and most recognizable building in the complex that serves as the principal work place and office of the president of the Philippines. The palace had undergone numerous renovations and expansions since it was built in 1750 and had stood against the test of time, surviving the worst of typhoons, earthquakes and World War 2.

In the Presidential Study is President Antonio Bajada Legaspi, the 15th President of the Republic of the Philippines. Recently elected, he is known for his nationalistic pro-western stance when it comes to international politics and his support for a more stronger response to disputes and the like. He also has ambitions to make the Philippines have a bigger role in the world economy.

Currently, he was in his desk with a malunggay pandesal on one hand and a document on the other while a brewed coffee was placed on his desk, its aroma permeating his nostrils.

His desk was stacked with documents detailing the first 97 days since he was elected as President. Some of those documents detailed the state of the economy but one that stood out was a report regarding the worsening situation between the People's Republic of China and the Republic of China in Taiwan.

As he was reading and enjoying the warm pandesal, his phone on that was placed on the side of the desk started vibrating and played what he had set as his ringtone, interrupting him. He set down the document he was holding, picked up the vibrating phone and answered the call, already aware of who it was.

"Hello." He said, holding the phone near his right ear.

"Goodmorning sir, the Abraham Lincoln and her escorts are already passing near Mindoro."

"Good, keep me updated." Antonio replied. After ending the call, set down his phone and returned to reading documents.

Feeling a bit bored, he proceeded to turn on the TV. Using the remote, he moved through multiple channels, sipping coffee from his mug, before arriving to one that was broadcasting the early morning news.

"The Japanese aircraft carrier Shōkaku and its escorts-the destroyers Nagato, Ariake, Onami along with the amphibious assault ship, Oga-enters Subic Bay. They would be participating in the upcoming Philippine-led Exercise Matatag with participating countries being the U.S., Japan, Australia and South Vietnam in response to increased activity of Chinese Naval Vessels in the South China Sea. It would be the largest joint military exercise held by the Philippines as ships and personnel from the participating countries would be training in amphibious operations, live-fire drills, urban and aviation operations, counterterrorism and search-and-rescure drills. The Chinese government condemned the exercises as "a display of aggression" and warned that these exercises will quote "provoke a response"........."

Antonio only sighed. With the increased aggressiveness of the People's Republic Of China, as well as its desire to have Taiwan under the flag of the PRC either through diplomatic means or down-right invasion. It would only be matter of time before a confrontation or even worse, war, would start and one that will surely involve the Philippines due to its proximity, its own alliance and close relationship with the United States and its own territorial disputes in the Kalayaan Group of Islands in the South China Sea.