2. Stressed Out

"Have a wonderful first day, sweetheart!" Mama said at the entrance to the school.

"Rock it, Peanut," Papa said, offering a fist bump.  Maggie half heartedly returned it.

Maggie looked around herself at all the kids rushing along into the school.

"I don't want to go," Maggie whispered.

"Aw, Pet," Papa said, kneeling down and looking Maggie in the eyes. "You gotta go to school. Partly because it's the law and partly because Mama and I don't know everything."

"Mama and Papa know eberything!" Maggie smiled.  "So I can stay home and you can tell me eberything."

"It doesn't work that way, Peanut," Papa said, hugging Maggie. "You're gonna be fine. Ashley and Taylor are in your class again this year."

Maggie looked around. She didn't see Ashley or Taylor.

"Can't you walk in with me? Until I find my classroom?" Maggie asked. She was still a good head shorter than her peers, and she felt so small among all these bigger kids.

"I don't see why not," Mama shrugged, taking Maggie's hand. Maggie tried hard not to put her thumb in her mouth as she followed Debby towards the school's front door.

"I'm gonna have to wait out here, Peanut," Papa said. "Jim isn't allowed inside."

Maggie looked back at her Papa and Jim. She let go of Debby's hand and ran back to Josh and hugged his leg.

"Mama and Jim and Papa will be here at the end of the day, too," Papa said, hugging Maggie and kissing her head. Jim snuggled up against Maggie and licked her hand.

"Bye Papa. Bye Jim," Maggie said, going back to Debby. She followed her mama into the school.

"Okay," Mama said. "Mrs. Donovan, Room 26."

Maggie looked up at all the classroom doors all colourfully decorated and looked for either the name 'Donovan' or the number 26. There was so much noise in the school today and everything was so bright.

"Here we are!" Mama said brightly. Maggie looked up at Debby. Mama smiled at Maggie and nodded towards the room. Maggie looked into the room. In the doorway was a woman with blonde hair, blue eyes wearing jeans and a blouse. She looked nice and had very kind eyes.

"Good morning. Who have we here?" She asked Debby.

"This is Maggie Dun," Debby said, pushing Maggie forward gently.

"Good morning Maggie. Welcome to Room 26. We are going to have so much fun this year! Come on in! I can show you where your cubby is for your backpack, and your seat. Say bye to Mom," she smiled. Maggie looked up at Debby with fear in her eyes. Debby knelt down to Maggie's level.

"It's okay, Bug. Just like last year. But this year you're in second grade. And you're a big strong kid, right?"

Maggie nodded.

"And you are brave, right? Because who had surgery last year and rocked it?"

"Me," Maggie whispered, a slight smile on her face.

"And who's strong enough to fight Jim with her bare hands?" Debby growled. Maggie giggled.

"Me," she said. Debby nodded.

"And who's going to be waiting right outside the doors when school is over?"

"Me - I mean you! And Papa and Jim," Maggie laughed.

"Right," Debby said, poking Maggie in the stomach. "Now, I see Taylor and Ashley waving at you. Go on my little Bug, and we'll see you after school."

Debby gave Maggie a kiss on the cheek and waved goodbye as Mrs. Donovan took Maggie's hand and led her into the classroom.

Mrs. Donovan showed Maggie her cubby, where Maggie put her lunch and backpack, and then to her table group, which was where Ashley and Taylor were. The three girls squealed and hugged each other while they waited for class to begin.

Mrs. Donovan was a nice teacher and funny. She told Maggie's class all about her summer vacation and how she travelled all the way to Ireland to visit her grandma, who she called 'Nan'. She even showed some pictures and told everyone about her dog, Milo, who stayed behind with friends while Mrs. Donovan was in Ireland. Then she asked the class what they did over the summer.

"I drove around the country on a bus," Maggie said when it was her turn. "The bus had beds and we slept on it sometimes. Sometimes we got to sleep in hotels, though."

"Why all this travel on a bus?" Mrs. Donovan asked.

"Buses don't have beds!" a boy in the back called out.

"Yes they do!," Maggie insisted. "Because my Papa has a bus that has beds and a shower, and a bathroom!"

"Maggie, why did you ride a bus all summer?"

"Well, not all summer. But a lot of it. My Papa plays drums with Uncle Tyler, so when they went to work, we got to drive around on a bus."

"Who's your Papa?" Mrs. Donovan asked.

"Papa Josh. And Uncle Tyler and Aunty Jenna and Rosie were on the bus, too. But they slept in a different bus."

"Your papa is a drummer?" Mrs. Donovan asked. She looked at the attendance page again. "Your papa is Josh Dun?"

Maggie nodded and smiled.

"And Uncle Tyler sings and dances and plays guitar and ukulele and piano. And he lights a car on fire sometimes."

Mrs. Donovan smiled.

"I know your papa's music. You must have had a fun summer touring around with them."

Maggie nodded. It had been a fun summer.

"Thank you, Maggie,". Mrs. Donovan smiled. Maggie sat down and Mrs Donovan moved on to the next student.

Maggie didn't care what the boy thought. Papa Josh and Uncle Tyler had sleepy buses and they'd been on them for part of the summer.